clutch bearing

BX Tech talk
nab
My Cars: Citroen BX GTI 8V
Citroen cx TRS
Karmann Ghia 1968

clutch bearing

Post by nab »

I took the gearbox out of my bx gti 8v last year to be rebuilt and never put it back together due to freezing conditions and working away and not having time to finish the job.
I am now about to put the gearbox back in the car but cannot remember how the clutch bearing is supposed to stay on the fork.
My gearbox has the clutch fork that pivots on a ball and the bearing has a hook on it that hooks over the clutch fork . Is this all that holds it on? as far as I can remember there is no clips.
I know there is a different bearing with no hook that has clips on both ends for a slightly different fork.
I would like to confirm this before I put it all back together just it does not look a very good way securing a bearing with one hook over the fork....any help would be appreciated......thanks
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: clutch bearing

Post by Tinkley »

It seems you have the ball pin type fork like I have on my BE3 gearbox. You are correct in that the release bearing is held by the semi bayonet engagement of the folded steel part of the outer bearing. In the Haynes it shows it but not for the BE3 gearbox!. I think it shows it for the early TU 1.4 petrol, and mine is a 1.6 from '91. It is possible to convert the BE3 to the cross arm and clip later type bearing, you should have blanking plugs both sides of housing.
Make sure you have the correct release bearing as the clip ones don't fit. It's still worth jamming the fork when reassembling the box onto the engine but not as critical as with the clip type. It just stops the bearing rotating free and detaching itself from the fork.
BTW its probably worth popping the ball pin fork off and regreasing the ball - at least I did with Moly/Lithium but have also seen Copperease there.
nab
My Cars: Citroen BX GTI 8V
Citroen cx TRS
Karmann Ghia 1968

Re: clutch bearing

Post by nab »

Thanks...it was not very clear in the Haynes manual and it was a long time since I took it apart so I thought I had better check as I did not want to put it together and find a problem later.
I will be pleased to get it back on the road as I am currently running around in a 94 Audi 80 with better build quality than Citroen but rather boring compared with my BX GTI.