Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

gti 8v running issues

Post by rutter123 »

1990 h plate gti 8v 114143miles bosch ign

very erratic idle hunting between 1500/1200rpm drops to 1200 back up to 1500, up down up down, fairly consistent, never dropping below 1200 even after running for a while, seems to rev cleanly to the red line with no visible/obvious exhaust smoke but dosent settle down to an even idle, no stalling, restarts ok.

overheating very quickly after approx 10 mins idle temp gauge showing 100 deg

previous owners tells me h/g was done approx 100 miles back (at 114043 miles there is a label on the cambelt cover) at citroen classics in staines, i dont know when it was done but within the last year i suspect. i am going to start with the basics a compression test, breathers, filters, wiring etc etc, remove the rad check for blockages check t.stat for operation

any other pointers would be appreciated, thanx all
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Gary
BXpert

Re: gti 8v running issues

Post by Gary »

Hi
It is worth checking that the lower throttle butterfly is going back on to it's stop when the throttle is closed.
As they do tend to stick allowing excess air in the engine causing the revs to fluctuate as you have described .
A good soaking with WD40 on the linkage and working the lower throttle butterfly open/ closed by hand should help free it off.
Hope this helps.
1992 BX GTi Hurricane x2
1991 BX Meteor 1.9d
1993 BX TXD Turbo, Ice blue
1987 Visa GTi
ghaddon1701
BXpert

Post by ghaddon1701 »

100 degrees is not overheating. The first fan cuts in at just over 90 degrees on the temperature gauge. I don't know how far up the gauge goes before the second speed cuts in.
Pogo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Pogo »

Try cleaning the little temperature wire (I think that's what it does) in the mass airflow meter.
Don't use anything other than contact cleaner spray or you may ruin it.
Worked on mine.
1990 Black BX GTI
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

how can i drain all the old fuel from the tank and lines as i suspect its 18months old?

under the throttle body is a small bracket with 5 sided bolt heads?? security bolts i assume, how can i remove these to remove the throttle body?

how can i adjust the idle speed?

what is the correct idle speed (cold start) and normal idle speed?

what is the correct spark plug gap?

how many litres does the cooling system hold?

so far i have noticed very sooty plugs, a fair amount of black oily deposit around the mouth of the throttle body and also the bottom butterfly is not fully closing, the plugs and filter are fairly new, the t/stat is stuck shut hence the overheating prob, the rad has a poss leak, the timing advance vacuum pipe was split at the dizzy end, 1 spark plug was loose, i suspect an air leak on the inlet manifold so will fit a new gasket there and thoroughly steam clean the throttle body and manifold, seems that the car is running rich and staying in "cold start" mode, will clean out all the breathers and see how it goes from there. also the hyd pump is quite noisy but working ok.

i have since found out more about the head gasket, i have spoken with Darren at citroen classics he tells me the previous owner had the head fully reconditioned inc valves/guides/seals after valve guide wear and excessive oil burning, and darren only fitted the head to the car, he also seems to remember idling probs at the time of fitting, this work was done 03/12 and the car has only done 100 miles since, so i would rule out head probs for now.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The high idle has to be air getting in somewhere - does it have an idle speed control valve?

The other point worth noting is that I once replaced the coolant temperature sensor on a 205, as a cheap first attempt at trying to solve a running problem. It was a pattern sensor, and I think the resistance was not the same as the OE part (which I stupidly binned), as the running problems remained but I was getting 15 mpg and sooty plugs afterwards...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

idle speed control valve? what does that look like? if its on the t/b then i dont think so.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

To address a few points :
This car , a 1990 model should have the later 1.3 ignition with no distributor or flow meter. You appear to have the earlier ignition fitted if you have a dizzy with a vacuum pipe attached there.

No idea what that bracket is but you will have to buy a pentagonal socket to get it off. The sticking butterfly will give you a too high tickover speed that is all.
It would be a good idea to check the water temperature sensor to see if it is working correctly and also that its wiring connections are good.

I wouldn't bother to drain the fuel. Why, because my TD which I am working on at the moment is running well on its last diesel fill up in September 2009, and its diesel that's supposed to go off.
Idle speeds : 850 and 1100 ish. When all else fails you may have to look at the flow meter for your erratic running speeds.

It is normal to find oil in the air inlet area, it just depends how much and how quickly it builds up again after cleaning.

Remember this is a BX and everything that can possibly go wrong probably will. Its part of the joy of BX.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.