gti 8v not starting

BX Tech talk
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: gti 8v not starting

Post by Tinkley »

1 bar is 14.7psi - atmospheric pressure at 1000 millibars. So 2.5 X 14.7 = 36.75psi so your not far out.
A quick rule of thumb is to use 1 atmosphere (bar) = 15psi for quick mental calcs.

Have you taken the fuel pump out and cleaned any filters? Obviously its in the tank, empirical testing - it should spurt like letting the air out your tyres at 32psi approx. Don't have a flow meter to hand....
It should depending on the orifice size produce a small continous squirt. There will also be a return for unused fuel in the system. If you can pull water up a tube by vacuum you know you have more than 1 bar, you are defeating gravity!

Good luck withthe testing, its frustrating but I wish you well with getting her to start. On the carb fuel pumps the diaghram inside fails - rubber and old age. Maybe Malcolm or someone with more experience of the tank fuel pumps knows their weakness?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

As mentioned previously, you can check the injectors are firing cheaply and easily.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Noid-light-Bo ... 0809117048" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Again, it's not that expensive to buy a fuel pressure gauge (£10-£15 from the same source) and plumb that into the fuel line to check the pressure. So for £20 you would be able to diagnose where the fault lies, rather than having to stab in the dark and swap the ECU. Plus you would have tools that you can use again and again.

Other ECUs will probably work to prove or disprove a fault but may well have a different fuel map. I really doubt the ECU has failed though.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

have checked injectors with said light and all good there after fitting new relay, spark is good, fuel pump good, filters cleaned, the fuel pump pumping approx a gallon of fuel in under 2 mins, power to ecu ok relays ok, tps ok, water temp sensor ok, but no signs of any fuel getting in, dry plugs. as if there is not enough pressure in the rail to open the injectors.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

Is there any sign of petrol actually reaching the fuel rail? Have a root around - key off, then disconnect the return line to see if there is any sign of fuel - be careful of any residual fuel at high pressure. Another test you can do is see if you can pull a vacuum on the pipe into the pressure regulator that connects 'intake manifold pressure' into the pressure regulator. If no, that tells you the internal diaphragm is damaged. If fuel leaks out of the regulator from that pressure connection, that's another sign it's broken.
If those simple tests are okay, you need that pressure guage & follow the test procedure. steve
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

From memory: with 3.1 ignition when the ignition is turned on then the pump runs for a second or so to get the fuel pressurised in the feed rail. The pressure is governed by the regulator at the fuel return end. The pump also runs while cranking until the engine fires when it runs permanently.
This might help you to establish if everything is normal.
A simple fuel pressure test would be to to gently remove the supply hose immediately after a quick crank. Fuel should spurt out under pressure.

Have you checked cam belt timing ?
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

yes that is how it is, ign on pump runs for a few secs then shuts off, when cranking the pump cuts back in, same set up on the injectors, yes there is plenty of pressure in the fuel rail, enough to pop the hose off, tho not fully tightened, should i get fuel freeflowing out of the return side of the pres/reg when the pump is running? or does the pressure reg "hold" the fuel in the rail until sufficient pressure is reached to feed the injectors, then the vacuum controls that pressure according to load, or am i barking up the wrong tree? this is my main suspect as its the original 23yr old unit, and prob a contributer to the lumpy running, i need to find out if this is the fault as a new one is £70 and could be an expensive error.

i have not touched the cambelt or any associated parts as this was only done 100 miles back by darren at citroen classics when the new head was fitted, so i wouldnt suspect anything wrong there.

i still suspect the fpr or at worst ecu which some have said prob not causing the prob.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

The pressure regulator maintains the rail pressure at a fixed offset relative to the pressure in the intake manifold - hence the pipe connecting the two. That way, the injector sees a near constant differential pressure between the fuel pressure and the intake manifold pressure - hence better fuel flow control. There has to be some continual bleed back to the tank otherwise the fuel rail pressure would rise to that generated by the fuel pump 'dead ending' into the rail. See if you can hire, or borrow, the pressure tester locally ? If you are keeping the car, it's a good tool to have.