Can you drain a manual gearbox on '91 TGD?

BX Tech talk
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Re: Can you drain a manual gearbox on '91 TGD?

Post by Oilyspanner »

AF means across the flats in inch fractions for imperial spanners. there are a few metric/inch equivalents.
The beatings will continue until morale improves
BXMad

Post by BXMad »

Thanks to RxBx I picked up the BV oil yesterday and have drained/refilled it. When I topped up the gearbox with 85/90 (maybe half a litre), I didn't notice any difference in gearbox performance. But now with the BV inside, its much easier to change gear and there's no graunching on 1st or reverse. In fact I'd previously thought the clutch would need adjusting so changing the CV boot was actually a blessing in disguise.
I expect a previous owner had probably changed the oil but used something other than BV.
Anyway sorry if I kicked off a debate about Imperial & Metric! Personally I find Imperial a PITA as there's no consistency for a given size. And I usually end up employing Trial & Error until one of my small selection of Imperial spanners fits. If nothing seems to fit then I try a metric before resorting to adjustables, mole grip or a pipe wrench!
BTW I'm aware that Imperial threads are probably more refined for a given purpose and all would be fine if there was consistency on the spanner sizes. Must have been a devious plan by someone to sell loads of spanners and large tool boxes!
1.9 TGD (Estate, manual)
1.9 TRD (2 Saloons, auto & manual)
1.9 TXD (Saloon, auto)
TZD Turbo (Saloon, manual)
GTI 4 x 4 (Saloon, manual)
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

This was an interesting thread - should the BE1 box have BV oil in too? If so, it may explain a lot in Timex's case!

Not as relevant for these cars (although I've found the odd one on Timex) when I mentioned to an engineer friend of mine that a lot of older model Citroens used M7 threads, his response was that it made perfect sense to him as there were more imperial equivalents to M7 than there was to either M6 or M8!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!