Octomectomy on the TRS Mk1

BX Tech talk
B-Hive
BXpert

Octomectomy on the TRS Mk1

Post by B-Hive »

A beautiful spring day had me reaching for the tools..

My lovely mint Mk1 TRS (boast boast) had started peeing LHM quite profusely, so octo was main suspect and indeed the culprit..
So I set about my patented third chamber octo by-pass..

This part of the octopus is three in - one out- I popped all the non strut fluid leak backs on the octopus (safety valve, steering, height correctors. accumulator) to be reunited in the engine bay...The most difficult was the front Height corrector (HC) that (being the the main cause of the leak) broke from both ends.

A bit of faffing about had the HC pipe fitting clean and clear ready for it's new pipe to be attached and leading straight to the reservoir.
My advice on refitting a pipe to the HC is that it be both quite rigid and yet rubbery enough to fit over the HC pipe.

Regarding the front height corrector be sure *****DO NOT CONFUSE THE LEAK BACK PIPE WITH THE OPERATIONAL RETURN PIPE, THE OPERATIONAL RETURN PIPE WILL MOST LIKELY HAVE A CLAMP ON IT....)********

So .....Perfect Octopus remedy solution as all I need to do now is get a 4 to 1 plastic or brass junction high in the engine bay and 95% of the octopus return problems are sorted..

Worse case from here is that the strut return part of the Octopus leaks, but they are sooooooo easy to access and plumb its not funny..

So 2 for 3 in my BX fleet the octo mod is it....

The GT has, by its service records, a new Octo..so shouldn't give any grief ....but hell who cares!! such an easy fix if it fails...

Main point to remember is that the octopus consists of 3 separate chambers...the main source of problem usually being the low pressure return union set up for everything except the strut returns, and usually fails at the front height corrector hose..

Happy BXing
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed