LHM Leak - no surprise there

BX Tech talk
rd27
Confirmed BX'er

LHM Leak - no surprise there

Post by rd27 »

I've recently had the octopus replaced on my BX and just before had a 'temporary repair' carried out on another return hose by cutting out the split and replacing with copper pipe. The new octopus is fine, but on a drive home from a short break in the Lake District my 'temporary repair' let go and emptied most of the LHM in the tank (1L) within seconds on the road. Using a lighter I managed to squeeze the copper pipe back in and drove home, only to be greeted with another large puddle from the same pipe on my driveway, very lucky I got home. So I really want to sort this return pipe section for good to restore my faith in touring in the BX.

So a few questions really, the pipe that is broken is one that comes off a rigid pipe on the back of the front sub frame, presumably from the rear height corrector and goes through the engine bay via the drivers side under the engine, I presume this pipe is this part number: 96119048 highlighted in blue on this website - http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~ynar/bxorg_a ... /m15e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; called the 'operational return' would I be correct in assuming this? Is this part still available from the dealer, if so how much?
Plus, is there something wrong with my hydraulic system if it leaks so much LHM in so little time of blowing the repair off? I thought the low pressure return system was used to pass small amounts of LHM?

Thanks in advance folks. :)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS
2003 Skoda Octavia Combi vRS
1992 Citroen BX19 TXD - The quirky one
2006 Citroen C6 2.7 HDi Exclusive [Lounge Pack]
1972 MG Midget - The project that never seems to get off the ground
mat_fenwick

Re: LHM Leak - no surprise there

Post by mat_fenwick »

The operational return is low pressure but high volume, as it takes the extra fluid from the system when the car sinks and is lowered. Hopefully someone who's worked on this recently can confirm availability.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

This part, 96119048 is still available from from main stealers.
I bought the entire set last year and havnt used this one as yet but have it as a spare just in case.
I think that anyone who is into Bxs for the long haul and dosnt have a complete set of oil back harnesses is probably asking for trouble in the long term when these things are no longer supplied by Citroen. A new Octopus costs around 47 quid plus vat and if a lot more were ordered it would probably keep Citroen stocking them. Also, if they were later taken out of production, the unused bit of spare kit would more than likely sell for more than you paid for it. I have heard that Citroen may be removing all BX spares from their computer systems in the near future so i would think its just common sense to get hold of the stuff. OK, those of us who are clever enough to make their own octopus system, all well and good but most of us aint. Its all about supply and demand.
My recent trip to Malcolm proves this point in that having realised the leak was the octopus and couldnt be repaired, i had one in the back of the motor and job done.
I had a similar situation with my TZD Estate earlier in the year. Massive amounts of LHM all over the place and the ultimate fix was with copper pipes and a bit longer length of rubber pipe so i could get my fingers at it all and all copper/rubber connections crimped with small jubilee clips. The fix took no longer than 15 minutes and 3 months later no problems.[fingers crossed :D ]

Andy
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Might be wrong but my feeling on these leaks is its a product of two problems of ageing parts. The rubber is getting old. We know some have a habit of splitting down the moulding seam, as it were. Once a pipe starts its days are numbered despite a snip and tuck to get home and an ignorance will cure attitude. Meanwhile the internal seals and valves are all getting older, little bit of wear etc. The system allows for a fair amount of slack. However there has to come a point where the new excess return fluids are over loading the friction fit and structure of the old rubber pipes. The front strut on my car being an obvious case where in chasing the leak from the octopus to the strut it is now the strut drain that is weakest and failing under max loading. Yes the pipes have failed but the cause is overload from a strut failing in service, ultimately. A more experienced owner would have twigged before dumbo here. I can carry on driving but one day it will fail big time. Needs to be sorted.

So a vision for the future does mean monitoring Citroen's attitude to parts. It maybe that a source of piping and sets of tooling will be needed among the faithful so replacements can be made. Several have offered to make pipes on the forum who have invested in tooling, which is good. A question I was going to ask is what in fact is the recommended 'rubber' pipe to use with LHM and a known good source. I suspect my car has perhaps been retrofitted with a kind of rubber not suited to LHM. Either that or it was crap pipe in general. Homer's piping is generally much moire supple despite double the mileage.
Of course the cars are still in the sticky period where just servicing all LHM parts 'because' is not a financial option for a lot of owners even ignoring the time and ability to do it. Its much more repair when must. History tells that by the time that changes often the spares resources have dried up. Its a classic catch 22.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

I agree with you bud, totally but whilst there is still a source of supply of all the oil back harnesses for the BX, go for it. Dont wait to find out there aint any anymore.

Andy
Pogo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Pogo »

So as a BX newcomer, what would people suggest I buy for mine?
Octopus for starters, but what will a full set of pipes cost me?
1990 Black BX GTI
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

There are 3 sets of oil back harness. About 60 quid each but the most important one is the octopus.
Part no 96030258. Without that you are buggered unless you can make one up yourself from self engineered parts which some can but most cant. However, if you go to a main stealer without quoting the part nos, they will tell you they cant supply.

Andy
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

3, thought there was only 2?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

There are 3 complete component parts that make up the entire leak off system for Mk 2 BXs. May be slightly different for non power steering motors.
Part nos 96056235, 96119048 and 96030258.

Andy
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I have a similar small weep, I think from the same wretched return (small octopus) and Andy, would you advise changing both that and the PAS feedback?. I will have the front subframe out so access to the 'inaccessible' should be possible. Managed to get through MOT by tightening jubilee on rear of ride height corrector but its definitely still v slow weeping.
Subframe donor car, dry as a bone, almost certainly original returns as well. 1.6 petrol like your TGS but hatch with PAS so the returns should be the same for all (1.4 exempted) the other models?.

BTW I managed to get an genuine Citroen Octopus off GSF a couple of years ago for a steal so that should be OK. It was in a proper Citroen bag too.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I have purchased the 'Squid' as the local dealers call it, Part No 96119048. However it is slightly different to the one on the car in that it has 3 down tubes not 2. Presumably I just block the 3rd? or does it simply route into another return.
1.6TGS with PAS, so should be same as any other MK2.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Argh. A mutant. Stands hitting it with hammer.

What nurse? Oh medication time.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Part no 96119048 isnt the octopus but 96030258 is and that what was fitted to my TZD last week.I think you have ordered the wrong part.

Andy
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Thanks. The Octopus was replaced 2 years ago - I don't need a new one. It's the other return from the rear of the front ride height corrector I need - the 'Squid'. The low pressure Opreational return. I believe this thread stated this was part No 96119048 so that is what I ordered. It would appear there are 2 types of Operational return. Hopefully can kluge this one to work. Haven't opened the bag yet, it is described as the 'Faisceau Retour' on the Part No label.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

The other one, 96056235 is marked 'faisceau retour doseur'. Wonder if its this one you want. Would a piccy help?

Andy