Still a bit bumpy!

BX Tech talk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Still a bit bumpy!

Post by Tim Leech »

The ride on my TZI still isnt as good as I would like, the front crashes over bumps and potholes but floates otherwise where as the GT just wafts.

New struts (pleides recon) were fitted 2 months, the spheres were replaced in 2010 (with non sporty ones) when I got it (its done 3500 miles since) but its nowhere near as soft as the GT.

Someone said the height correctors maybe bunged up and to try some hydraflush?

I have changed the LHM also.

Any thoughs...I wasnt my magic carpet ride which the GT and DTR both had, they both had the later type set up.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mat_fenwick

Re: Still a bit bumpy!

Post by mat_fenwick »

What's the ride height like. Geoff Rothon suggested to me that mine was riding a bit low and that a quick check was to fit 4 fingers vertically between the top of the wheel and wheel arch when at normal height. I adjusted mine which did make a difference. Also, are you certain the spheres are correct? Any part numbers?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Wishbone bushes? They can look good, but might be worn or hard.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

You don't know the shelf-life or exact spec of the spheres. I used to see them wrongly box all the time, which could produce a multitude of errors!

I'd change them for new anyway. If it makes no difference, just bung the new ones on the shelf in the garage and wait until another BX needs them. There isn't much else that can affect the ride stiffness other than spheres and struts. Everything else will only make it noisy/unrefined/handle badly.

Otherwise ride height as suggested. Could be too high.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Surely the earlier (i.e. taper needle roller bearing) setup would be smoother and would explain a better ride on the GT - but you say you've had it changed to the later bush type?
I guess all small maladies can add up.
Sphere type/age?
Same age LHM?
New struts tighter than 'worn in' ones?
Tyre type/make/age/size/pressure?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Timex does something similar occasionally (bushes in the frot incidentally). I tend to find that it's because the suspension has settled a bit low, and shifting to intermediate and back usually does the trick, so I'm guessing height correcter sticky or crudded up.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Not qualified to comment but I can report that I was amazed at the amount of crude that was in my height correctors. To the extent I am not sure flushing would have cleared it all. You would know better than I. Most was dusty stuff but there were some granules and one 'shaving'. This car did have a known period of neglect and the poor strut seals suggests excess wear into the LHM. Scheduled for struts, other clean up and a flush as I am certain there is muck still in there. A look at the filter in the reserve will prove my fears when the time comes. At the moment I am limping the car along on about half a lt of LHM in three weeks - though I had one other leak on a feed back. A failed roadside repair. I occasional sense a lose in suppleness and I put that down to either some crap moving or when the seal is weaping as the strut is in a bad position. For this car that is on low. I think that would make sense on a little used car not really maintained and the n/s that gets the Nottingham pot holes and drains of its previous life. Bit of surface rust knocked out a seal or just a pour surface finish on a worn seal?
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Cheers guys, some good suggestions, could I fit comfort spheres? (im not bothered about flying round corners but it rolls alot anyway). I am happy to throw some new spheres at it.

I think the next thing is to try some hydraflush and see if it helps, it wasnt very well maintained when I got it so maybe bunge up.

The car was only MOT'ed last month and the bushes were worn I would have been told (as he would have failed it).

Front ride height seems right to me. but I will try the 4 fingers

The struts have made a difference to the ride, they dont stick like before and the car is alot smoother and all the groaning has gone, but it still doesnt absorbs the bumps as well as it should.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

As a quick aside, where do you even get hydraflush from these days?
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'll have a look in the pound shop :lol: But seriously, where have you tried?
Tim wrote:could I fit comfort spheres?
Yes, which is what I'll be doing shortly. If you look at the table towards this end of this thread you can see that the TZI had fairly firm spheres, same as the non ABS GTi. So even if your spheres are correct for the model and in good condition they may be firmer that you would prefer. I was surprised how much difference it made temporarily swapping the spheres from the TGD to mine!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I am sure when I replaced them I fitted standard 1.6/1.9 BX saloon spheres (for comfort). But if it makes a difference I will get some softer ones (matt if you can tell me where you get yours etc).
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'm getting mine from AEP (also in the link ;) ) but unless they decided to keep some in as a stock item it'll be 12-15 weeks until the next order is shipped to them. If I find mine too soft then I could sell them to you, but I'll certainly let you know how they feel. Pliades may sell them too, but I didn't have time to enquire.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Cheers mat.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Not forgetting our foreign friends have had good results using diesel in place of hyroflush.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Really? even so I think Ill stick to hydrflush, dont fancy driving it round with 4 litres of diesel in the pipes.