Fixed something...then broke something else...

BX Tech talk
kieran.l
BXpert

Fixed something...then broke something else...

Post by kieran.l »

Haven't been on here for a bit, but yesterday we replaced the octopus on the TZD turbo. It seems to be ok now but then we discovered another leak...

We removed the O/S shaft and bearing

But then we discovered another leak today, from the N/S, behind the gearbox near the subframe
When trying the remove the perished pipe (resting on subframe in the pic) from the little unit (above it), we broke it :(

When we unsrewed the little unit (it spung off), we were greeted by a spring and a gushing waterfall of LHM...

Behind the unit, it joins into steel pipes and there's wires there too.

What is this unit and where I find another? Or whats the best repair?

Thanks.
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
2018 Peugeot 3008 1.5 BlueHDi EAT8
citronut
Over 2k

Re: Fixed something...then broke something else...

Post by citronut »

its the safety/priority valve

here is price and part No.'s from service citroen

this is the complete unit
Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
96151895 SAFETY VALVE 90.58 GBP 108.70 GBP 108.70 GBP

this part is the end cap your spout broke off from, it is NFP from the dealer now though
96049204 VALVE PLUG 1.37 GBP 1.64 GBP 1.64 GBP

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
kieran.l
BXpert

Post by kieran.l »

Cheers Malcolm, I'll check this out.
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

kieran.l wrote:...........................................

What is this unit and where I find another? Or whats the best repair?

Thanks.
Hi Kieran, As already stated /\ by Malcolm its the 'Safety Valve' !

Its a shame you never posted up your problem/want a week or so ago as the /\ NOS sold on E-bay (19/09/13) for only £5:00 and that was after the seller previously got no bids on it for £10:00 #-o

Good luck in finding one or hopefully someone may come forward with an offer of a good S/H one ?

[-o<

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

If only someone would spend a bit of time spotting these eBay bargains and letting the forum know... :roll: :lol:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
kieran.l
BXpert

Post by kieran.l »

RxBX wrote: Image

Its a shame you never posted up your problem/want a week or so ago as the /\ NOS sold on E-bay (19/09/13) for only £5:00 and that was after the seller previously got no bids on it for £10:00 #-o

Good luck in finding one or hopefully someone may come forward with an offer of a good S/H one ?

[-o<

Ah noooo! #-o #-o :roll: Well it only broke yesterday so couldn't have know :lol:
I'll put something in the "Wanted" section and also check with the local dealer, although, as Malcolm pointed out, the cap is NFP.
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

You must be able to fix a nipple of some kind on your cap to allow it to still be used, It is only low volume / pressure return. How about gluing a tube support like on of these into it after drilling out to the right size?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nylon-Polyure ... 3f21666eeb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Defender110 wrote:You must be able to fix a nipple of some kind on your cap to allow it to still be used, It is only low volume / pressure return. How about gluing a tube support like on of these into it after drilling out to the right size?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nylon-Polyure ... 3f21666eeb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:idea: I wonder if it would be feasible (subject to the internal bore of the Rubber tapered/cone cap) to adapt something like a 'Presta' valve from an old cycle inner tube (Having disregarded the internal valve assy.) so that you have an internal flange feature which locates and seals it self internally and is fastened/secured externally by the larger threaded diameter (But also use a plain washer under the nut/collar) :wink:

As the reduced threaded dia. already has a similar undercut/neck feature (Similar to the original moulded end of the rubber cap) that's severed off the end of the Safety valve !

I would say that the outlet of Rubber cap would also need opening out a little to take the 'Presta' valve, also check FIRST to see if there's enough distance/clearance between the rubber cap end and the box section/chassis as that's fairly close and the 'Presta' valve shaft is fairly long !

Good luck !

:)

citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i think the end cap is plastic not rubber,

and im sure you can affect a repair but not with a tyre valve,

i would just line the original broken off spout with a short length of metal/copper pipe,
and bond it in place with the likes of

http://www.tesco.com/direct/5-minute-ep ... tAodWT4AZA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
kieran.l
BXpert

Post by kieran.l »

Thanks for the suggestions guys :) As it turns out, my father fixed it similarly to that suggested by Defender110 where he drilled it and placed a small copper pipe in it and sealed it with tiger seal.

It seems to be doing the job, and no other leaks either. [-o<

Brought her for a drive last night and she goes quite nice for a car that was resting for 8 years.

A couple of things though - the temp light is on constantly from start up (the water level is holding). We measured the engine temp using a lazer sensor gun having driven her and the temp on the thermostat housing was about 85C, so we don't think she's overheating.

Also, even though the main beams were working for a while, now they aren't - and there is no main beam blue light coming on the dash either??

The inside fan is completely dead too.

And she doesn't go to high at the front, but only at the back when selected and the height level is as stiff as hell, almost impossible to move out of driving height.

Other than that, she is driving nice :D :lol:
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the usual cause of tight height lever is the linkage hanging from the rear axle cross beam,

throuble with it it pivots on a thread so it sizes up,

WITH THE CAR SAFELY SUPPORTED
get under there unhook the front to rear height lever rod from the bracket, now try rotating the bracket/linkage,
you might find the bolt turns with the bracket, in which case you will need to hold the bolt head with a 13mm spanner that is above the welded bracket attached to the cross beam, at the same time get hold of the moving bracket with Vice grips and un/screw it from the bolt,

you will find the bolt also has a nut which is meant to lock it to the welded bracket,
now remove the nut and bolt, clean the thread up and re/fit/tight,
now wind the moving bracket back onto the bolt thread bit not all the way as it must be able to move freely on the bolt thread,
now hook the front to rear rod back in place

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I read this with interest - I have a leak from a similar area on Timex, although I'm hoping it's just the return pipe has aplit (common I've been told). If not I have a range of second hand hydraulic bits that may include one of these.

On another matter Kieran, all being well I'm taking Timex to Ireland next month - fancy a visit from a mad Englishman and a knackered BX estate?
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
kieran.l
BXpert

Post by kieran.l »

citronut wrote:the usual cause of tight height lever is the linkage hanging from the rear axle cross beam
Hi Malcolm, is this still the case even if the back of the car is rising and dropping normally - its only the front that won't go any higher than ride height?
citsncycles wrote:On another matter Kieran, all being well I'm taking Timex to Ireland next month - fancy a visit from a mad Englishman and a knackered BX estate?
Mike, id love to meet with you and Timex :) The only thing is, my mk1 is not taxed and is off the road for the winter as I like to keep her tucked away and paying the huge tax isn't worth it and the TZD isn't quite road ready so neither will be going very far :lol: Your welcome to call south to us here (http://binged.it/1f7Fiap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), although its a bit of a drive, so equally I can drive to meet with you. I work/study all week in Cork city and travel home (to where the BXs are) most weekends. Is it county Tip that you are coming too?
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I'm travelling to Shinrone, Co. Offaly, although only a few miles from the border with Tipperary. I'm quite happy to travel - I'm trying to put together a proposal for an Irish tour, hopefully for next year, so I'm planning a bit of running round anyway.

I'm not surprised you don't pay the tax all year round - my Dad has a late 90's Golf TD, and the tax on that thing is double what I pay for Timex. Isn't your Mk1 up for historic tax next year? My Mum has a 1303S Beetle that's on historic plates, although because she still uses it regularly her insurance is actually higher than my Dad's!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
kieran.l
BXpert

Post by kieran.l »

citsncycles wrote:I'm travelling to Shinrone, Co. Offaly, although only a few miles from the border with Tipperary. I'm quite happy to travel - I'm trying to put together a proposal for an Irish tour, hopefully for next year, so I'm planning a bit of running round anyway.
Well if your up for sightseeing your more than welcome to come on south. We'll definitely arrange to meet up somewhere. :D If an irish tour goes ahead count me in!
citsncycles wrote:I'm not surprised you don't pay the tax all year round - my Dad has a late 90's Golf TD, and the tax on that thing is double what I pay for Timex. Isn't your Mk1 up for historic tax next year? My Mum has a 1303S Beetle that's on historic plates, although because she still uses it regularly her insurance is actually higher than my Dad's!
Tell me about it! €720 a year for the mk1 for roads that aren't great by any standards! :evil: Yes, classic tax of €56 will be nice although I won't see this until 2015 as she wasn't registered in the UK until Dec 1984... Knowing my luck, by then the classic tax cost will have gone up :lol: But even if i had to pay €100-200 it'd still be better that now.
citsncycles wrote:My Mum has a 1303S Beetle
How cool! I was at a Citroen dealer only last week and they had an old Beetle in the yard, haven't a clue what model it was though.
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD