Fixed something...then broke something else...

BX Tech talk
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: Fixed something...then broke something else...

Post by citsncycles »

The Beetle is a 1972 Special Order model - according to the mountain of paperwork it came with for the first 6 months of production they weren't listed for the UK, but you could get one if you knew to ask! The first owner kept it until about 1993, and kept a record (including reciepts) of everything spent on it, including fuel, lightbulbs and even polish! There's even copies of correspondence between him and the dealer about various stuff. He sold it to someone who wanted a Beetle for a first car, but only kept it a few months as she found the steering too heavy due to a frozen shoulder. Mum then bought it from her in early 1994 with 34k miles on the clock.

Until last year it has been daily transport for her, including several trips in the last few years from Ireland to (among other places) Hull, Hexham in Northumberland and of course Gloucestershire. Other than general maintenance it got a new set of wings and the bumpers rechromed 10 years ago, an unleaded conversion 8 years ago, then the wings replaced again (as the company that did it last time only painted the top of the wings, not underneath!) along with some other bodywork and paint 2 years ago. She's still in her original turquoise colour (again special order and apparently most painted that colour today aren't original) and is now kept for occasional use since my Dad was laid off last year.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

citronut wrote:i think the end cap is plastic not rubber,

and im sure you can affect a repair but not with a tyre valve,

i would just line the original broken off spout with a short length of metal/copper pipe,
and bond it in place with the likes of

http://www.tesco.com/direct/5-minute-ep ... tAodWT4AZA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

regards malcolm
Yes, your quite correct Malcolm !

So I've given this a bit more thought :-k after reading about Jays dilemma of his recent POSTING scratch...

Rather than drilling the end out for just a Plain/smooth Copper pipe like Kierans father did !

:idea: Drill and tap out the correct size thread to suit a very small brake bleed nipple, cut the cone end off just below the thread (so as to allow more LHM flow) clean off any swarf etc.and then screw the nipple into the tapped valve plug with a suitable glue/sealant or possibly even Loctite Thread-lock to bond into place !

I would think that this repair method should provide a satisfactory/permanent fix over just using a plain/smooth copper pipe, because of the nipple being being threaded and therefore should not pull/slide out (Which may be possible with a plain drilled hole) also it will also have the similar end nipple as the original design too !

Click on photo to nipple link /\

I hope this may be of help for any one else with a broken nipple on their Safety Valve \:D/

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I would have said the bleed nipple was too big, nowt wrong with Kierans copper pipe repair.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Defender110 wrote:I would have said the bleed nipple was too big, nowt wrong with Kierans copper pipe repair.
Kevan !

A 1/4" UNFx28TPI is not that large !

But I did state 'Very Small' but couldn't find a Blaaardy BX rear calliper type on E-bay WHICH would be ideal IMHO !

However, I'd say most good engineers would know why I've suggested my particular repair scheme :wink:

kieran.l
BXpert

Post by kieran.l »

RxBX wrote:However, I'd say most good engineers would know why I've suggested my particular repair scheme :wink:

Why is that then?

I'll admit that I'm not an engineer but my father is a trained fitter (construction machinery mechanic) for the past 30 years. His repair is doing the job perfectly it seems.
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
2018 Peugeot 3008 1.5 BlueHDi EAT8
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Seems like quite a provocative statement to me - in my mind good engineering is not necessarily about doing what is 'right' by the book, but by applying ingenuity to a problem and coming up with a satisfactory solution, of which there may be more than one.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

mat_fenwick wrote:Seems like quite a provocative statement to me - in my mind good engineering is not necessarily about doing what is 'right' by the book, but by applying ingenuity to a problem and coming up with a satisfactory solution, of which there may be more than one.

Totally agree Mat.

Ive worked for a couple of very big name companies over the years, still work for one actually. They pride themselves on quality engineering, although the solutions and definition of quality engineering is very subjective, the bottom line is, does it work, is it an acceptable solution?

Answer yes to both, then off you go and do it.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

mat_fenwick wrote:Seems like quite a provocative statement to me - in my mind good engineering is not necessarily about doing what is 'right' by the book, but by applying ingenuity to a problem and coming up with a satisfactory solution, of which there may be more than one.
In your opinion Mat, but I can assure you thats NOT the case !

However Vanny seems to singing from the same 'Hymn-book' as me :wink:
Vanny wrote:Cant you tap the remainder of the existing one and stick a barb of some description in? Its only low pressure return no?
The /\ statement from THIS for ref.

Like Matt (Stinkwheel) has stated "the bottom line is, does it work, is it an acceptable solution ?" my brake nipple suggestion was to try and have a more definite mechanical connection (By tapping out plus the application of a bonding/sealant agent) also the brake nipple has a similar feature to the moulded O/E part to connect the Rubber pipe to so that in turn, that has a better anchor over a smooth/plain pipe end !

But hey-ho I'm vom= of all this, do as you please as I've got better things to do like go and mow the grass !

citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i think if you gave ten people this same challenge, and not letting any of then in on what the others was attempting, the outcome would be very interesting

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)