Yet another ride height setting query

BX Tech talk
Tinkley
1K Away

Yet another ride height setting query

Post by Tinkley »

Car is almost ready to rock and rol again after subframe replacement. One small problem is the height control lever is only giving full height or low on the front. Rear end is OK. In Normal mode the rear is correct the front bottomed, no intermediate height at front but can go to full height.

I have put the primary adjuster - the small steel slotted clamp in the same position (+/-1.0mm) on the adjustment rod as before. The fork onto the ball joint at the rear of the height corrector is well sloppy but probably passable (2-3mm slop?), so do I assume that the ride height is now set entirely from the anti roll bar clamp? and this is how the normal height is set?. I'm assuming the pothole shifted the thing as the a/r/b was knocked back and twisted by hitting the pothole. Driving it back afterwards was also on min at front....interesting and hopefully never to be repeated.

I have searched for this (on this forum) and found some useful stuff but not quite this information, so apologies if its all old hat. Just want to be sure I'm going in the right direction rather than chasing my tail.

New front spheres and accumulator coming today so there will be some gas pressure up front :lol:
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Re: Yet another ride height setting query

Post by BX Bandit »

You may either of plumbed the height corrector incorrectly (I've done it on an mx but I forget the exact nature of the symptoms) or possibly air in the system, in which case you need to make sure you have a full tank of lhm and do citerobics a few times. In normal ride height, the height corrector should be at rest I.e. No force applied to it from the ride height selector rod.

So long as all the above are resolved then yes, the normal and intermediate ride heights are controlled by the anti roll bar.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Tinkley wrote:The fork onto the ball joint at the rear of the height corrector is well sloppy but probably passable (2-3mm slop?)
Might be worth squeezing the fork in a vice to close it up, and/or rotating the ball on the HC arm if it has significant flats on it. I've not measured the play, but that sounds a lot from memory and you might run into problems whereby the exact 'normal' ride height is dependant on whether you approach it from a high or low setting.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Thanks guys. I have topped up the LHM and bled the front brakes, up and down a few times, released pressure valve etc, so I don't think it is air in the system. I have not changed the hc just released it from subframe. Replacing the 'Squid' will not have affected it.

Thanks Mat, not sure how I get the fork out? I was surprised how sloppy it was when I reassembled it by jiggling the frame and corrector to engage on the rear ball. No way of pinching it in situ... :lol:
The other end of ride height corrector rod is through the brass bush OK. I had assumed that the rod was so far jolted at the brass bush end with the bent frame that that was the original height problem. Probably at least 20mm out of position. The fact is, it was working OK, and is still working to both extremes so it has not failed.

So by 'default' the 4 height settings exist if everything is connected correctly. I will have a play with the rotation of the clamp on the anti roll bar, and get some other settings. After which I can get it near spec for height to subframe.