steering "wandering"

BX Tech talk
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Re: steering "wandering"

Post by BX Bandit »

rutter123 wrote:had some time this morn to strip out the front end to find the prob,
1st, the lower n/s/f ball joint is worn
2nd, pads are very low both sides
3rd, handbrake cables are in poor condition, tho operating ok for now
4th, 1 split ball joint rubber
5th, tyre wear to inner edge n/s/f i suspect the ball joint causing this

so for now it will stay stripped down, parts ordered from local factors, then to the tyre shop for new rubber, tracking and balancing, after checking my service records o/s/f lower ball joint, both tie rods and both drop links were replaced 06/08 @ 190k and the lower arms/bushes and brake discs 07/10 @ 218k, so not too bad in all but im expecting the bill to be £200 ish all up.
Still cheaper than depreciation from a 'regular' car though!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Stinkwheel wrote:Worth checking the rubber donut that sits in between the column and steering rack.
I had a deteriorating one a while back and the symptoms were similar to what you describe.
I take it that you are referring to the "Hardy Disc" ? This item is checked by the MOT man and I had a fail on this for a split although it was not yet evident in the cars handling.

The replacement has been nfp from Citroen Dealers for several years although I was lucky enough to get one of the last. This was after getting one of the wrong type from GSF which was for manual steering not power which is a compact rivetted assembly.

Did you have much bother in sourcing one Stinkwheel?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Did you mean the Steering Coupling? Chevronics have new ones in stock!. I bought one for when it goes. Got to say from crawling around under it and replacing subframe, how easy is it to change? Looks like my rusty bolts could be a true pig.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Yes, a bit of a pig because you need to work in the footwell as well as in the engine compartment. Long reach tools (allen) also help for working underneath the car. Is Chevronics offerng a new assembly or just the rubber bit?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

It's a piece of cake if they are genuine style with the studs pressed into the metal part. The gsf ones have loose bolts which means you either need an assistant, Carol Vordeman is very good, or, you need some mole grips, a gentle touch and the wind blowing in from the east, or you need to change into Mr Tickle.
I prefer the Carol route myself but she's been hard to get hold of lately!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Way2go wrote:I take it that you are referring to the "Hardy Disc" ? This item is checked by the MOT man and I had a fail on this for a split although it was not yet evident in the cars handling.

Did you have much bother in sourcing one Stinkwheel?
Thats the very thing yes. I had no toruble because the one i wanted was for the StTropez, a manual steering model :)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I prefer the Carol route myself but she's been hard to get hold of lately!
She must be busy with all those adverts she's doing!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

i have today replaced the lower ball joint, cleaned and lubed the calipers, new pads, replaced the split ball joint rubber, 2 new handbrake cables, 2 new tyres fitted and balanced and had the tracking set, yes it is much better but still doesn't feel 100%, i think the front end is as good as it can get feeling a lot more stable @ 80mph+, so some attention to be paid to the n/s/r suspension arm which will need rebuilding /l. not much of a budget left over for the tyres so had to settle for a mediocre mid range tyres which are e rated for noise d rated for fuel consumption but b rated for wet weather and in all fairness (@ £78 a pair fitted and balanced courtesy of our local asian owned cash only tyre shop) they are pretty bloody good in the wet and good grip all round to boot, not really any noticeable difference from the prev fitted avons which are now on the rear. Pleased with the overall result but still a little room for improvement.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability