Lack of power steering

BX Tech talk
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Re: Lack of power steering

Post by BX Bandit »

I hadn't, but suspected it was ok. Inspection yesterday revealed it was clean as, although the collector filter was rather murky, shows it's doing its job.

I think this is one of those things where I could spend forever investigating whereas my time would be better off just getting on and replacing parts and checking each time one is replaced if it's fixed.

I've ruled out the ram as there is no leak off juice flowing out.
So it's fdv or pinion or pump or a partial blockage in the former two?

My driveway is bright green, despite best efforts the stuff gets everywhere. A rubber pipe decided to leak again yesterday........... grrrrr
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Well, this is soooooo much fun.

Changed fdv, with no changed PAS. Tried bleeding the system as per cut work shop manual, no better.
This leaves either the ram or onion valve with internal leaks, the pressure reg checks out so far, as does the pump.

Happy bunny, no really, I am
1990 BX TGD White
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

erm, I guess you've undone the feed pipes to the ram and got a kindly assistant to turn the wheel whilst you look underneath? With the engine running fluid should piss out if the wheel is turned. If it doesn't, most likely pinion. If it does, the rams most likely fubar. I had this before on the diesel. Changed everything before changing the ram because "there was nothing left to change", and whilst the ram showed no external signs of failure, it had.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Yes - my son was the kindly assistant this time, as I mentioned elsewhere, Carol Vordemann wasn't available!

Well that's just it mate, best see my last entry in my blog - Pigeon Restoration
1990 BX TGD White
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Yay! Think I found the culprit, and, feeling rather smug in my smugness, I actually diagnosed something by reading, re-reading and finally understanding the Cit workshop manual! Details in my blog as listed above this post
1990 BX TGD White