radiator cap.

BX Tech talk
really?
BXpert

radiator cap.

Post by really? »

how many lbs of pressure should i have on the td cap? found som nice looking fahler items on the bay (again) and they have a range of pressures.(7,10,13,15,20) mine has a crack in the presumably brass disc above the spring and i just heard it leaking air as the car cooled after an oil change and pump belt tighten, so it definately needs a new one. might also explain the running a tad warmer? no gunge just a bluish evaporated coolant looking powder around the outside. cheers.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Re: radiator cap.

Post by Thread Bear »

All my rad caps are thus. I queried it at Stratty. Seems that these fail regularly, so I assume they are crap. I was waiting till I went to the scrappy to get an older version made by people who drink Irn Bru. The cars seem to run OK on ithe failed ones and with Turbo it stops the rad weeping as it is not under as much pressure. Such is running a half buggered car that broken bits are better than perfect bits!
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars