poor starting, diesel.

BX Tech talk
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

poor starting, diesel.

Post by tim »

Here's one for the diesel experts. I know the Red One is a 'poor' starter because I've got the white one to compare it with. That one will start when warm or hot without any preheat needed at all. The Red One doesn't and needs a little bit of heat at al times. So what are we looking at? There's no history on the injectors so it could be them - or possibly a leak in the leakoff pipes? It isn't a major problem but knowing it could be better makes me want to get to the bottom of it.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: poor starting, diesel.

Post by citsncycles »

Once it's up and running, what's the power like, and is there much smoke on startup?

Sorry to come over all doom and gloom but when Timex was like this, ut turned out to be the head!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

No, this isn't anything new and I wouldn't have known there was anything wrong without a comparison right next to me. The car just did a week down Dorset and up to Wales, nearly 1000 miles. It's just a niggle! But presumably there is a logical explanation. And it is only the starting. Although the car needs the full preheat in really cold weather.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Hopefully the head's OK then.

Might be worth trying to find somewhere to check the injectors - my dad had them rebuilt in has Golf last year and it transformed it apparently.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

This is purely speculation, but are both injector pumps the same make? I've got two vehicles (one the BX) with Bosch pumps which both only need glowplugs when cold, but all the Lucas equipped XUDs I've had or worked on tended to need them whether hot or cold. Could be completely coincidental though.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

yep, both Bosch. Same year.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Rules my speculation out straight away then :lol:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Timex still needs glowplugs when warm, but with the lashup of an '88 engine and Bosch pump fitted with a square port head made out of 2nd bots from at least 6 different engines, it's hardly a surprise!
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Funny thing really, my TZD needs the glow plugs warm to start which she does easily but after a few turns.
The TXD starts every time on half a turn of the engine, always has done, i dont know why but always better than any of my other BXs. However, all start ok so i wouldnt be too worried Tim, as long as she goes.

Andy
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

What fuel primer has it got?
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Clear candidate is injector / fuel delivery performance. Bit of jollop or some veggie before it gets cold might clear that out. Filter? Though diesels are sensitive to the turn over speed of the starter. A good swing and snappy compression makes all the difference. More often than not a 'dead' diesel battery will continue to run a petrol car for another few years before finally becoming to degraded to be unreliable. A lazy starter means more churning before action. Dare I mention the exhaust and the fact that there are some real crappo pipes out there restricting the breathing, particularly the second section where the pipe bending is poor. Homer had this issue and the engine starts perfectly with no pipe on. Probably a reason the front gasket failed leading to that being botched up. So clearly it was restricting performance and a bigger or uniform diameter pipe will offer a dividend.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

mat_fenwick wrote:Rules my speculation out straight away then :lol:
And to add insult to injury I always thought the opposite, always found Lucas good little starters! What do we know eh? :mrgreen:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Tim, there will be always small differences between like systems. E.g your harder to start one could be just slightly out of timing, slightly lower compression, pump slightly more worn etc etc. I always found a Bosch cold start to be good (except in colder weather) but needed a couple of more turns on the starter when hot. It's probably accumulation of things and not to be concerned over. Are the mileages and histories the same?
1990 BX TGD White
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

The better starter has done nearly 300,000 miles! Mine has done 140,000. Having the injectors 'overhauled' is an obvious one but I am reluctant to spend this kind of money if it makes no difference. Hence this thread! It's an option but given that the older car is better I suspect that it's some other factor.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

300k! Cool. Here's an example, my nearly 200k tgd used to start hot with no preheat with a Lucas.
The same pump with the timing unadjusted (as it was swapped on its cradle) would always need preheat on its recon engine. Who knows?
1990 BX TGD White