New to the forum silver c reg bx estate

BX Tech talk
Stuartwhite1989

New to the forum silver c reg bx estate

Post by Stuartwhite1989 »

Hi new to the forum. My grandad recently passed away and I have to try and empty his garage with the bx estate c reg with the spare wings and spare doors and another set of wheels. It's been in a garage for 15 years since he put it in there. I don't know too much about it other than it ran but wouldn't lift. He changed the spheres an put another dosear valve on it (not spelt correct) but thats all he did I need to get the old girl out the garage and get rid for my nan as she is paying for the garage still. Will I be able to move it with put getting it to lift? I don't think he tried to bleed the suspension so can anyone recommend on how to do that. I am mechanicly minded but these are before my time. Any help please
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: New to the forum silver c reg bx estate

Post by Tim Leech »

Welcome! If its a C plate then it's a mk1 estate, which means you have a very very rare BX as there's only two others known.

Stay a while.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Stuartwhite1989 wrote:Hi new to the forum. My grandad recently passed away and I have to try and empty his garage with the bx estate c reg with the spare wings and spare doors and another set of wheels. It's been in a garage for 15 years since he put it in there. I don't know too much about it other than it ran but wouldn't lift. He changed the spheres an put another dosear valve on it (not spelt correct) but thats all he did I need to get the old girl out the garage and get rid for my nan as she is paying for the garage still. Will I be able to move it with put getting it to lift? I don't think he tried to bleed the suspension so can anyone recommend on how to do that. I am mechanicly minded but these are before my time. Any help please
Hi Stuart and welcome to the BXC, firstly may I ask if this BX is a Petrol or Diesel ?

I dare say this will be a MK1 and should generate some interest IF its F/S and therefore should leave it up to the interested party to get removed/shifted from your Nans garage being that it had some 'Unfinished' work done to it and has stood for 15 years since and as such may find it difficult to get it to 'Stand to attention' !

Firstly have you checked to see if the engine turns over and starts as you've stated "It ran but wouldn't lift" rather than "It runs but wouldn't lift" !

So if you get the engine running then check to see if the bleed valve/screw on the PR has been locked off (As the system may have been de-pressurised before the work mentioned was carried out) if it doesn't lift then check to see if there actually is a ball bearing behind the bleed valve/screw on the PR is in place, as it could be missing if the bleed valve/screw was completely removed when de-pressurised and the ball bearing went AWOL (Unnoticed), if so then the vehicle will never lift-up !

Also heres a LINK to instructions/procedures on sphere replacement which may be of help but you also may need to bleed the brakes too after the doseur valve being change out (As this operated the brakes) so if its 'Nots standing to attention' maybe the system has got air trapped between the LHM tank and HP pump ?

Heres a flavour of what can happen to a BX which has stood for so long especially with the earlier models having only 'Cad-plated' brake/suspension pipes !

Not to put anyone off, but reality need to be considered in the task involved, as Tim found out with the one /\ which had been in dry storage for 14 years, heres the original FOR-SALE thread and then the RESCUED thread !

So if it's F/S, I suggest to upload some photo's with a price etc. and then get Mat to move this thread into the 'New' F/S Section for members (which Mat has made) !

Good luck with it.

:)

Last edited by RxBX on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuartwhite1989

It looks quite reasonable condition under all the dust and cardboard on top. When I get chance to drag it out of garage I will put a battery on it and try to start her. I'm pretty sure he told me it was petrol but I remember him saying its a 1.7. It looks like the one in the pic but hopefully weekend I will get her out. I thought she isn't something you see around often and would be a shame to scrap. Especially with the spares with it which could be handy to people on the forum as you don't really see them in a scrap yard now days. I don't know what it's worth really to put up for sale but I would rather someone take it all the car plus the spare set of rims a pair of front wings and 3 or 4 doors. Thankfully good ol grandad didn't leave the handbrake on :) can anyone say what it's roughly worth if I can get her to run as that will help with money towards the funeral costs.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Where abouts are you?
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Without saying what spec, engine etc for sure then its tricky to value......

Being harsh it would be scrap money of 150 quid ish upwards depending whats there and someone actually wanting it.

Not trying to put you off, but imobile and non road legal cars can be hard to find homes for.

Some pictures of the beast would help us no end :)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Stuartwhite1989

The car is in Thetford Norfolk. I know its not worth a lot not running but I will try get it running and more details on it by the weekend and pics. Will try to get underneath it to look at contition as i will try to show honest pics of the car and better description of it as I don't want to rip anyone off. I thought I'd try the bx forum as someone may want her for parts
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Stinkwheel wrote: Being harsh it would be scrap money of 150 quid ish
Under normal circumstances I'd say that was about right - but if it is a Mk1 estate and - as it's been dry stored - has a rust free shell, that puts a rather different slant on things?
Stuartwhite1989

Just spoke to nan all she remembers is its petrol.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Like to be a 16RS if it's a mk1. Depending how good the garage is (in terms of damp etc) it might not need as much as you'd think to get it roadgoing again.

If it's a mk1 estate you'll get a grand for it with an MoT provided the rust/bodywork are half decent I reckon.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Stuartwhite1989

The garage seems bone dry. So does the cardboard in there and wood. Mayb to preserve the spare doors he wrapped them in cling film haha
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Paul296 wrote:
Stinkwheel wrote: Being harsh it would be scrap money of 150 quid ish
Under normal circumstances I'd say that was about right - but if it is a Mk1 estate and - as it's been dry stored - has a rust free shell, that puts a rather different slant on things?

Thats exactly my point Paul, normally correct, therefore we need to know what it is exactly as it 'may' be worth more.

I was being my usual pessemistic self and giving sort of worst case scenario :)
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

If it's a petrol it's rare even for a mk1 estate. There is currently a LHD one for sale that has been off the road a few years, and there have been rumours of a RHD one in the Channel Islands, but yours will be the only one known on the UK mainland, all the other known RHD Mk1 estates here being RD models, like my own.

Unfortunately you're a long way from me otherwise I'd come and have a look but unless it's rotten I don't imagine you struggling to find a home for it.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Stuartwhite1989

Road trip to view it and a cuppa t :) well hopefully by weekend will have it out and pics up. Will drain fuel if has any and put fresh in and put battery on her and try to start her
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Im going to come out and ask...

Stuart, are the indicators in the front wings orange and only half wing height size or are they clear and full wing height as per car above ?
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car