LHM warning light menu/pump

BX Tech talk
Thread Bear
1K Away

LHM warning light menu/pump

Post by Thread Bear »

Latest prob with Gary X. Heavy steering and squeals and chuntering from the LHM pump. The dual warning lights coming on. No apparent lack of LHM or water. Does this warning system pick up a lack of pressure in the LHM system as well. Pretty sure the pump is going out to lunch. Either that or the belt is failing. So if its not pissing it down another task to perform. Fortunately I think I have a spare ABS one.
Can you restore these pumps?
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Re: LHM warning light menu/pump

Post by RobC »

Yes, the hydraulic warning light comes on both when there's low system pressure (measured at the security valve on top of the front subframe I think) and when the LHM level in the tank is low.

And re: pump repair, check out this thread if you're feeling adventurous. http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... tool++pump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1991 Citroen BX 16v
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I believe the Accumulator sphere also has some bearing on the PAS, LHM pressure to brakes and PAS, so a low pressure sphere can cause the lights to come on. Maybe someone else can confirm. One of my cars definitely has to have v tight belt on to the pump (might need recon) or it squeals. Might just be a bit of crud causing a temporary blockage. When was the LHM changed? and filters cleaned?.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

An interesting thread on pump internals. I think that might be a goer when I have more time. It might also suggest that the combined owners of BX not bin dud pumps but hang on to them as it could be possible to recon them. Indeed its my feeling on most of the active parts of the mechanics and suspension which is not common or shared with other cars. All to often when spares get hard the tales of woe are how so many parts were chucked that really were fixable and extremely expensive to re-manufacture in there entirety when only one or two elements of it need be remade. If space is a problem I will happily offer a shed in which to accumulate the stuff which will belong to the BX Club in what ever form it takes in the future. I am thinking of struts, height correctors, valves, you will have a better idea than I on what to stash. Even rear suspension arms as the naffo bearing area can be re sleeved. Its cheaper than making new ones when there are none to be had. The bush network should get stuff to find its way to Oxfordshire, pretty central other than for the North.

As to my prob I doubt it is the accumulator unless the sphere is a duffer. Its easy to change the pump so I think I will do that first as I have been meaning to look at it for sometime. It made sense that the lights monitored a pressure problem.

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Have you just tried tightening the belt, they do need to be tight and tightening often cures this problem.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

plaidiesseses can recon/exchange your hyd pump to a very high standard, i had mine done on the tzdt about 6 yrs ago by them and still good after 80k, cost then was around £120 exchange unit i expect it would be a little more now. personally never stripped a pump as i have heard the pulley and pump cover are pigs to remove, bit beyond my knowledge and capability, took the easy option.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

For a change no great dramas. The replacement system is clicking in about every 35 seconds and I have steering again. No idea how good this pump is but I can have a play with the other one as I assume a pressure test will show how good or bad they are. The belt was not the best might well have got covered in oil at sometime as it had that rubber/oil not getting together look about it. Odd as no unexpected oil leaks on the top or that side of the engine.

While I was in there I changed the intercooler for a reworked and cleaned one I made up a few evenings ago. Might sound sad but I sit with a long wiper steel and small screw driver straightening out and cleaning the grid. On my old car this made quite a difference in performance. Be interesting if it does on this one.

So later a test run as I have to go to Witney. See if this set up works.

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Yep, that's better.