Camshaft to HP pump oil seal

BX Tech talk
Dominic
Confirmed BX'er

Camshaft to HP pump oil seal

Post by Dominic »

The TZD has developed a persistent engine oil drip. I think its coming from the HP drive shaft where it emerges from the camshaft, but by the time its spread itself all over the back and side of the motor, its hard to tell. Replacing said oil seal looks fairly horrific - involving major dismantling - anybody had to do this? Comments and moral support sought.
Dom
91 TZD
02 Picasso HDI
'12 DS5
83 Moto Morini 500
70 Fiat 850 Spider
Anything that turns money into noise...
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: Camshaft to HP pump oil seal

Post by citsncycles »

I have changed it as part of the head rebuild on Timex, but have also changed the seal on the cambelt end in situ before, which I think is the worst of the 2 ends.

You'll have to remove the cam cover to access some flats to hold the camshaft with while removing the bolt for the pulley. You may then need a puller to get the pulley off - that's a bit of a lottery as I've had some slide off no trouble and others start to bend the pulley before it moves! You should be able to get something in to pull the seal before fitting the new one. As it's been disturbed I'd check and if necessary replace the cam cover seal too, and while the cover's off you may as well check the valve clearances while you're there.

As for what needs to be removed to get to the cam cover, I'm not sure what's involved I'm afraid as I've never had a TD model.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Remove the intercooler, three 6mm Allen key bolts, a jubilee clip and if they are still fitted three 10mm bolts along the front edge fixed to brackets coming off the head.
You'd be best off removing the cam cap at the pump end to access the oil seal. Be sure to smear some oil round the camshaft journal that the oil seal seals against.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

i've got to do this job too in the very near future...
back of my TD engine is caked with old oil and fresh oil is collecting around the bottom of the cam belt cover - I'll do both cam seals and the crankshaft seal too

haynes, suggests holding the cam pulley with a custom made holder but I'd use the flat section of the camshaft. I removed both pulleys from a spare head recently and they came off easily with no need of a puller. Probably not a good idea to give the pulley a whack given the brittle nature of the camshaft!

Always a good idea to change all seals when you're in there... I made the mistake of not doing this before we stuck a replacement engine in mine recently.. still no better way of learning a job...
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

BX Bandit wrote:...
You'd be best off removing the cam cap at the pump end to access the oil seal. Be sure to smear some oil round the camshaft journal that the oil seal seals against.
are they tricky to pull out or is this to ease insertion / reduce risk of damaging the seal when pushing it in?
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i usually place a 16mm spanner on the pulley bolt and give it a tap with an ammer, in the appropriate direction of course, never failed yet,

once the pulley bolt is loose disconnect the drive belt, pull the pulley off, then prize the seal out,

the new seal usually presses back in with finger pressure, smear the working surface of the new seal with oil before fitting,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

themildbunch wrote:
BX Bandit wrote:...
are they tricky to pull out or is this to ease insertion / reduce risk of damaging the seal when pushing it in?
They are not tricky no, just two 13mm nuts. But, they are an engineered fit and can be stubborn. The best way I've found is to screw the rocker cover bolt in and give it a tug.
As Malcolm suggests you don't need to have the cam cap off to insert the oil seal but it makes removal of the seal much easier.

Be sure to seat the oil seal properly, if it's on an angle and you tighten the cam cap down you can twist the oil seal (it's metal backed) and then it won't seal!
1990 BX TGD White
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

citronut wrote:i usually place a 16mm spanner on the pulley bolt and give it a tap with an ammer, in the appropriate direction of course, never failed yet,

once the pulley bolt is loose disconnect the drive belt, pull the pulley off, then prize the seal out,

the new seal usually presses back in with finger pressure, smear the working surface of the new seal with oil before fitting,

regards malcolm
As this /\ , nothing normally hard about this job no need to remove the cover, very easy and quick to do so don't be put off. The seal will prize out easily with a seal removal tool or sharp flat blade screwdriver hammered through the middle of the seal and used as a pry bar. Use the old seal in front of the new seal to tap the new seal into place. Very simple job.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

citsncycles wrote:and while the cover's off you may as well check the valve clearances while you're there.
:?: :? :?:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Defender110 wrote:
citronut wrote:i usually place a 16mm spanner on the pulley bolt and give it a tap with an ammer, in the appropriate direction of course, never failed yet,

regards malcolm
As this /\ , nothing normally hard about this job no need to remove the cover, very easy and quick to do so don't be put off. The seal will prize out easily with a seal removal tool or sharp flat blade screwdriver hammered through the middle of the seal and used as a pry bar. Use the old seal in front of the new seal to tap the new seal into place. Very simple job.
If you do it his way, which no doubt is quicker, just mind where you point the pointy thing that you'll use to prize out the seal, score the end of the camshaft and you may gave a leak for good.
1990 BX TGD White
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've got an old screwdriver which I've heated and softened, to minimise the chances of damaging anything. I also took off any sharp edges, but it's a good point. Personally I've not taken the cam cover off just to change a seal before, but the choice is yours.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

BX Bandit wrote: If you do it his way, which no doubt is quicker, just mind where you point the pointy thing that you'll use to prize out the seal, score the end of the camshaft and you may gave a leak for good.
Yes good warning and a good pick seal will be ample for this little seal, I'm used to having to remove much harder to remove bigger HGV seals.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

BX Bandit wrote:
Defender110 wrote:

regards malcolm
If you do it his way, which no doubt is quicker, just mind where you point the pointy thing that you'll use to prize out the seal, score the end of the camshaft and you may gave a leak for good.
yes yes i fully agree Mr Bandit,
and i should have mentioned this precaution,
you also must be careful not to gauge the alloy head or cam cap inner surface,

the other way to pull the seal out would be drill a very small hole in the old seal face, enough to fit a self taping screw, to which you can them pull the seal out with

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

To be honest it never occurred to me to do it without removing the camshaft cover, and I never knew there was a specific tool (oil seal pick) either! So you learn summat new every day! I'm also wary of stating the obvious and trying to teach Granny to suck eggs or patronise other peoples posts/opinions etc but you can just imagine a ruddy big hammer going for gold on a nice sharp screwdriver and doing the damage, and I only know that as it's something I would of done in my less patient fool hardy youth!
1990 BX TGD White
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hook-Pick-Oil ... 0816478846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lighter gauge;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4PC-Soft-Grip ... 0949328047" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heavy gauge;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverline-Se ... 460d5f6c89" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202