Camshaft to HP pump oil seal

BX Tech talk
citronut
Over 2k

Re: Camshaft to HP pump oil seal

Post by citronut »

BX Bandit wrote: I'm also wary of stating the obvious and trying to teach Granny to suck eggs or patronise other peoples posts/opinions etc but you can just imagine a ruddy big hammer going for gold on a nice sharp screwdriver and doing the damage, and I only know that as it's something I would of done in my less patient fool hardy youth!
Mr Bandit
dont be wary of trying to teach Granny to suck eggs,
certainly wasnt taken that way,
i belive to get to the root of a problem it requires various different suggestions to be put into the pot

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

BX Bandit wrote:To be honest it never occurred to me to do it without removing the camshaft cover, and I never knew there was a specific tool (oil seal pick) either! So you learn summat new every day! I'm also wary of stating the obvious and trying to teach Granny to suck eggs or patronise other peoples posts/opinions etc but you can just imagine a ruddy big hammer going for gold on a nice sharp screwdriver and doing the damage, and I only know that as it's something I would of done in my less patient fool hardy youth!

"fool hardy youth" :?: I still do it this way but I am very proficient at it and it is often the most efficient way of getting stubborn seals out. :wink:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Aww thanks chaps, I can feel the love! :mrgreen:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

I did this job this afternoon - pretty straightforward -

Malcolm's hammer on the spanner trick worked perfectly to undo the HP pump drive - no need to counter hold the camshaft or anything.

Unless you're confident with your technique though I would recommend removing the bearing cap first to get the seal out. I have the smaller seal picks and a selection of screwdrivers but I failed to pry the old seal out although I didn't try that hard as I was scared of scratches. On the TD I found it's better to remove the intercooler anyway for more space and once you've done that it's only 3 more bolts to get the valve cover off, not really anymore work.

Using the old seal, a deep 35mm socket and a soft face hammer it was easy to get the new seal installed square. I torqued the cap down before installing the seal.

I have the timing belt side to do next and I'm thinking of getting one of these sets:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crank-Seal-Remover-Installer-Kit-Set-Oil-Seal-Crank-Seals-27-58mm-Universal-/251364417119?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3a867c9e5f

If it makes this job quicker, safer and more reliable it's probably worth it as I should probably do the seals on all our BX's
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate