Tachometer not working

BX Tech talk
axbx
Confirmed BX'er

Tachometer not working

Post by axbx »

Hello everyone

I cant find any information on where I can locate the sensor for the tachometer on a diesel engine
As fas as I can remember I can use a voltmeter and measure some kind of current on this sensor to see if it has the error?
Whats the easiest of changing this sensor or changing the dash? probably going to change the dashboard as well, as the plastic-electric lead is quite worn out with many circuits not working.....

Thanks
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Re: Tachometer not working

Post by BX Bandit »

It sits on the back of the engine block at the flywheel/gearbox end, access from underneath. I suspect it will be corrosion in the connector between the sensor and the vehicle wiring. Look for a three pin brown connector.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

yep, as above... it might also be adjusted badly.. IIRC it's a hall effect sensor and needs to be set the correct distance... mine's not quite right and works for a while then goes a little haywire as it heats up... here's an oily image of mine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pt2h8brm0wpyw54/bx-td-tachnometer-pickup.jpg
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
axbx
Confirmed BX'er

Post by axbx »

Many thanks!
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

axbx wrote:Hello everyone

I cant find any information on where I can locate the sensor for the tachometer on a diesel engine
As fas as I can remember I can use a voltmeter and measure some kind of current on this sensor to see if it has the error?
Whats the easiest of changing this sensor or changing the dash? probably going to change the dashboard as well, as the plastic-electric lead is quite worn out with many circuits not working.....

Thanks
Here you go fellow !

Click on image for link to thread :wink:

Good luck with getting it working again !

axbx
Confirmed BX'er

Post by axbx »

RxBX wrote:
axbx wrote:Hello everyone

Thanks
Here you go fellow !

Click on image for link to thread :wink:

Good luck with getting it working again !

Very nice, thank you :!:
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Even the Haynes manual will be of some help with the basics like getting the dash / instrument pod off - it's a bit of a fiddle. It's held on by 2 bolts close to the top and rear of the binnacle and held on with wingnuts. Remove the clock tray in the centre of the dash and stick your hand through the hole until you locate the wing nut on that side. Remove the foglight switch panel - or the blanking panel if fogs not fitted - or all the trim around the steering column to get at the wingnut the other side (other folks may have better suggestions here). Depending on how much access you need and /or what you want to do when you get the pod detached, it may be easier to remove the steering wheel to get better access. If you do that, remember to get a hammer and chizel or marker to mark the top "straight ahead" position of the wheel for when you come to re-fit it - the indicator cancel ring is attached to the steering wheel itself so getting the wheel back in even slightly the wrong place can screw up indicator cancelling and that can be dangerous.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate