slight lhm leak

BX Tech talk
saint gaz
BXpert

slight lhm leak

Post by saint gaz »

coming from the front drivers side. I suspect it could be the return pipes. Until i get under and check i wont know for sure. If it is that how easy are they to replace? Am i still ok to drive and is it worth doing both sides?

cheers
gary
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

If it's the front strut return pipes, then you should get it fixed sooner rather than later as fluid could get on to the brake disc. Also if it leaks a lot you could run out of LHM.

Quite an easy job to do but you'll need a pair of pincers to squeeze the retaining clip back to gether.

I wouldn't do the other side unless it needs it.
They think it's all over, it is now!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

If the return pipes look as though they are leaking because they are overloaded (which is what usually happens) its a waste of time trying to replace the return pipes as the strut is severely worn and the new one will leak as well.

The consolation is that the car will ride beautifully on a pair of new struts and it will have all been worthwhile.

The return pipes and the little rubber maniflol used to be availabe (and probabbly still is) available from GSF and Eurocarparts for about £8 and comes complete with the stainless steel clip that you'll never manage to fit. I used a jubilee clip - but it was a complete waste of time and money as the strut was knackered - and the new one cam with the return pipes fitted.

jeremy
saint gaz
BXpert

Post by saint gaz »

hhmmmmm.... :?
At the moment touch wood the car rises and fall's as you would expect. There is no groning from either strut. In fact its a very smooth ride. The only reason i suspect a slight leek is that during our recent "wet spell" i have noticed a small "rainbow" of oil and water under that side of the car. i had just wondered if there was a pipe with a small hole in it. I will have to get it up on my ramps at the weekend weather permiting.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Put the car on full height and put the steering lock on, you will be able to see the pipes, when old they rot and break off usually just behind the strut.

If it's blown off the other end (car end) then simlpy push it back on but if this is the case chances it's the strut thats US.

NEVER be tempted to tie these pipes on with tywraps or similar, as they will only blow off somewhere else, somewhere much more difficult to get at. But lets not even go there. :)
saint gaz
BXpert

Post by saint gaz »

Thanks Ken. So if i understand correctly if it is rotten its more its likley an easy fix behind the wheel. If its more serious could be costly and the pipe could be damaged / blown off further up the strut.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

If it's blown off, pipe wil probably be OK but the strut is knacked.

My money's on a rotten or broken pipe.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Fitting the return pipe clips.

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Fitting the return pipe clips.

there is a secret to this, use a pair of pincers- the type you use for pulling
nails out of wood.

Easy when you know how! :D

Mike
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

ken newbold wrote:NEVER be tempted to tie these pipes on with tywraps or similar, as they will only blow off somewhere else, somewhere much more difficult to get at. But lets not even go there. :)
Hi Ken, I used tywraps through the metal plates & round the struts instead of the impossible metal straps. Job seems OK. :)

Re-reading this I guess you are talking about the top connections and potential problems transferring to the Octopus! :shock: My old returns hadn't blown off, just the rubber cracked apart.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Is it possible that this LHM leak could be coming from the octopus rather than from the o/s strut ?
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
saint gaz
BXpert

Post by saint gaz »

Thanks for replys chaps, due to "adverse weather" conditions i didn't get a chance to take a look. But i will a.s.a.p.
saint gaz
BXpert

Post by saint gaz »

Sorry to resurrect this, I have finaly had a chance to look at the return pipes and both side's pipes are quite perrished. I realy dont think this is to serious a problem. Have ordered two pipes and some lhm from these chaps. http://www.aepdirect.com/defaultHome.aspx
Has anyone tried them before?

One last thing the pipes seem to be tie wrapped at the bottom to the strut. Is this ok?
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Yes, I've used aepdirect before and I would be happy to use them again.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

saint gaz wrote:One last thing the pipes seem to be tie wrapped at the bottom to the strut. Is this ok?
No -
The pipes should be absolutely free to move between strut and car body pipe attachments.
They should reach up in a free loop behind the strut.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The strut return pipes are in fact 2 pipes which go to a common rubber square collector which is held over a hole in the strut by a special stainless steel clip.

The clips are like a large version of those lovely special hose clips used all over the car - and like them are virtually impossible to fit - so someone may have used cable ties to hold the rubber collector on to the strut.

If this has been done it may not be very satisfactory as I think there is a stainless steel support plate that should be used to keep the rubber collector flat.

When I tried to fit these pipes I used a large jubilee tyrp hose clip and the stainless steel support plate which came with the replacement hoses.