Is there a fill level for the LHM fluid?

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Is there a fill level for the LHM fluid?

Post by cavmad »

Topped up my LHM the other day just in case and couldn`t see a `fill` level. Anyone know if there is a level indicator please that I may have missed?
I`m having another stab at the creaky suspension later or tomorrow, I`ll let you know how I get on. Anyone within a 100 mile radius of west Cheshire should shut their windows and plug their ears though if they don`t want to learn any new expletives!
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Hello

The float in the clear tube above the reservoir should be between the two red lines when the car is in High. Or, if yours is stuck like mine is, put the car in high and stick your forefinger in - the LHM should just touch the tip. Overfilling will only cause a mess around the reservoir, but underfilling will give you problems.

Oscar
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Wondows shut! Thanks for the tip!

PS if you want to visit the 'parts department' in Heswall today (thursday) give us a bell, about to go over now and will be there till the last liverpool bus flys by!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Vanny wrote:Wondows shut! Thanks for the tip!

PS if you want to visit the 'parts department' in Heswall today (thursday) give us a bell, about to go over now and will be there till the last liverpool bus flys by!
Thanks for the offer, would loved to have been able to make it. Alas things to do here including taking my BX to the garage for investigation of stupid whistling noise. Glad to report not too serious (even more glad to report not too expensive either!) and I can leave it for a few thousnad miles yet. PHEW! On holiday in it very soon and don`t want any problems.
Just spent a good few minutes on the `phone chatting to Ian ref. the creaking suspension and he very kindly talked me through the best cure for it. Hopefully I`ll be trying this tomorrow after work and reprting in to say it`s worked though I might need to do it a few times to get it perfect.
Ian, if youre reading this you`re a diamond geezer mate and I can`t thank you enough.
Just as an aside I `ve gone broadband today and early reports seem very favourable.
Vanny, when I`ve returned from my jollies I`ll try and arrange to pop up and see you and your parts department which sounds promising. What`s the betting I beg you to sell me some more parts to update my diesel?!!
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Thanks Billy, i appreciate that!

Vanny, Cavmad suggested we have a little meet at his place in a few weeks time, you up for it?

I'll bring all those BX brochures for you!
Over and out from me
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

yeah sounds good, i know he's not far from me!

My only problem is if i have a car or not!

I'm sure Stuart can be persuaded to venture up the road and meet us as well, he's only a spit and a throw away!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

The more the merrier as far as I`m concerned. There`s a private service road behind where I live, plenty enough room for a clean and fix session. Anyone else fancy coming? I have basic tools plus a compressor, a power washer and most importantly a kettle!
Date t.b.c as I`m very busy at present. If your name`s not on the list you`re not coming!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Topped up with LHM fluid today, had to buy some from Halfrauds. Seven pound bleeding ninety nine pence the robbing f*ck*rs.
Rather alarmingly it took all the bottle and some of another bottle I had left and it`s still not showing between the red marks. I can get my midle finger to just about touch it but I have bloody big hands so maybe wants some more.
The `stop` light is NOT coming on on the dashboard btw and I can`t see any leaks anywhere.
In your experience how often does the LHM need topping up please?
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

The LHM level shouldn't really go down at all, provided you have no leaks and no air trapped in the system. Try citaerobics now you've topped it up, and keep an eye on the level over the next few weeks. Or let it stand and a leak will show up as a big green puddle spreading over the drive....
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Try citaerobics now you've topped it up, and keep an eye on the level over the next few weeks.

????? I take it you mean pump the suspension up and down a few times? It`ll be getting all the excercise it`ll ever need tomorrow as I take it on a nearly 300 mile one way trip to the seaside. Does that count as citaerobics?!!!!!
Thanks for your help btw.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Like Oscar said try raising and lowering the suspension 10 times and re-check.

When i've had burst pipes the light has tended to come on when it needs another litre ish putting back in.

Make sure the little red spinning thing isnt siezed up.
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks, when you look in the reservoir how far from the top in inches do you reckon it should be approximately please?
Also how can I tell if the spinny thing is seized or not?
I know, I know-I ask too many questions!
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Give me 5 and i'll go see!!!
Over and out from me
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

approx 13cm from the top of the filler neck
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

What can I say gents? You lot are the tops. I`m in a very good mood right now. Just back in from training my lad`s football team and discovered not just your most welcome help with all things wrong with my motor but also confirmation that I`m `Saddo of the week` for spotting what that plastic screwy thingymajig is.