rear wheel splash plates replacements

BX Tech talk
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

rear wheel splash plates replacements

Post by tim »

A while back I wrote a thingy on Chat about Kurust, which turned out to be a crock of shit. Having done both the rear splash plates, or shields, worrever they be called, with a good coat of Kurust and Hammerite as well, I thought I'd saved 'em for the nation, but only three months later they were showing signs of rust all over, and this was late this summer before any bad weather. Two months ago one was showing holes. Yesterday there was a steady scraping noise from the back so I got underneath and removed the remaining half of the dangling plate which had simply rotted to pieces. Piggit.
So two questions - can anyone suggest a source for these? I thought I'd seen this somewhere quite recently but I've trawled the first four pages and can't find it.
And following on from my previous question on Chat, is there a rust protection material out there that is proven to work? Surely there must be a way of keeping rust at bay, otherwise we'll all finish up with lots of spare mechanical parts and hydraulic components, and no body shells to fit them on.....
mat_fenwick

Re: rear wheel splash plates replacements

Post by mat_fenwick »

I don't think there is a product out there which can convert anything but light surface rust long term into a stable substance, much as I'd like that to be the case! The trouble with rust converters is that they will treat what you can see, but how far do they penetrate into what's underneath? As a test, brush some on to rust, let it change colour and then take the grinder/sander to it. Chances are you will uncover untreated rust beneath.

I still maintain that removal is the only long term option, whether that be via mechanical means or by chemical removal. Of the latter, Bilt Hamber Deox gel is the only one I've tried, but it takes its time. Days rather than hours, but might be less of your time than it would take to manually remove the rust.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

/\ as that. cure rust is great at doing what it is supposed to do, nowhere in the instructions does it say paint on the outside and it will cure all the rust underneath.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

Agreed - but if you have to remove all the rust back to bare shiny metal, then there ain't no rust to "Ku". It's a con.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I've found Vactan to be pretty good. Follow up with several coats of zinc-rich primer (my new wonder potion. It's brilliant) and a suitable top coat of some sort. Hammerite is complete crap.

My 2CV has rust EVERYWHERE. As an experiment, I rubbed down some rusty bits, coated in Vactan and then applied Bilt Hamber's aerosol zinc primer. Didn't bother with any top coat and where my coverage was good, no rust has returned after several months of Welsh weather. That's impressive.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

tim wrote:Agreed - but if you have to remove all the rust back to bare shiny metal, then there ain't no rust to "Ku". It's a con.
If you abrade back to mainly bright shiny steel, the converter will probably neutralise any rust remaining in the pits. Or may well cope with light surface rust - which would be easily removed anyway! IMO it can be useful for slowing down rust in places like seams which are difficult to get to. Putting off the time when you have to do a long term job.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

That's paint-on rust removers covered - if I was cleaning up splash plates, once they were - visibly at least - rust free ( and I'd grind back to fresh metal before I even thought about putting Kurust on), I'd coat them in waxoyl afterwards. As the name suggests the splash plate is particularly vulnerable to . . . well . . . splashing.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Does anyone have access to a 3d printer so that plastic versions could be created, they won't rot :)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

MULLEY wrote:Does anyone have access to a 3d printer so that plastic versions could be created, they won't rot :)
In principle Mulley, a good plan. 8)

However, (1) I guess it would be quite an achievement to get the engineering drawings on file from Citroen. (2) The finished plastic product may be as good as a chocolate fireguard when exposed to the radiant heat being emitted by the brake discs when they are doing their job. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Yes, a 3D printed one would soften, maybe not completely melt. But a GRP one would be fine, it can take 100 deg heat no problem. Also you get significant heat loss with the air gap to the disc. Having tested elements at 400 deg which were encased (safely) by nylon mouldings I don't have a problem with plastics with a suitable air gap. The key is the stiffness which GRP would give compared to a single sheet,hence the light form in the pressing.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

tim wrote:Having done both the rear splash plates, or shields, worrever they be called, ..
'Back plates' :wink:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Paul296 wrote:That's paint-on rust removers covered - if I was cleaning up splash plates, once they were - visibly at least - rust free ( and I'd grind back to fresh metal before I even thought about putting Kurust on)
Sorry to sound pedantic, but don't you mean rust converters rather than removers? Which in theory can be painted on any thickness of rust, just that they will take considerably longer to work the thicker the layer.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

As per my own experience, the stuff was a waste of time and money. I did as well as I could using a rotary wire brush and a drill, also a flapwheel. Sure, this doesn't remove all rust which is exactly what these wonder products are supposed to help with. But Kurust did nothing of the sort. There's a good blasting frim near me and with hindsight I could have had them blasted and primed, or even as suggested, slobbered 'em with Waxoyl. Anything would have been better! So there we are. For the bulk of the car where things can't be unbolted I am happy to try Vactan or a good primer - where can these brands be found??
And back to me other question - where can I buy a pair of new splash guards? Can they be cut out of a flat sheet of metal or are the various ridges and troughs needed to clear the nearby bits rather than just being structural?
PS I was told that if I'd fibreglassed the things carefully, thereby excluding oxygen, this would reduce the chances of rust a lot. Is that true??
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

here is price and part No. from citroen except they are NFP now

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
95630820 DISC PROTECTOR 12.69 GBP 15.23 GBP 15.23 GBP

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

mat_fenwick wrote:
Paul296 wrote:That's paint-on rust removers covered - if I was cleaning up splash plates, once they were - visibly at least - rust free ( and I'd grind back to fresh metal before I even thought about putting Kurust on)
Sorry to sound pedantic, but don't you mean rust converters rather than removers? Which in theory can be painted on any thickness of rust, just that they will take considerably longer to work the thicker the layer.
Obviously, when I say 'remover' I mean remove in a converting kind of a way. :D