Alternative Fuels (split thread)

BX Tech talk
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: Alternative Fuels (split thread)

Post by Tinkley »

I've driven LPG powered fork lifts (5 Ton lift ones) basiclly they were Ford engines converted to take LPG injected into the manifold. Ran very very clean especially indoors.... we were using it to move generators onto packing crates/into test areas. No problem with them, renew the propane when it died :lol:

My Dad ran LPG Bristol's (603 and 411) for many years and they were fine. Still pretty quick..... 70 felt like 45....
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Yes, LPG's well-proven in normal engines. Natural Gas (ie the stuff that comes down the mains to fire up your boiler) is a bit diffferent in terms of storage and tank filling.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

KevR wrote:Natural Gas is a bit diffferent in terms of storage and tank filling.
Yeah...a few more precautions in the way of pressures!

As an aside on LPG (which I am a fan of if you hadn't guessed), this is the inside of a Rover V8 engine after 142k miles (the last 130k on LPG):

Compare that with a picture I found which is similar to how another of my engines looked inside after 136k miles:

Obviously, cleanliness is only part of the picture and oil will still suffer from thermal breakdown at the same sort of rate, so I wouldn't advise extending oil change intervals when running on gas as some people do. But I do wonder why more effort isn't put into LPG vehicles supplied from the manufacturer in this country. Italy especially seems to be way ahead of us in this respect. If you look at the differece in emissions (the ability to pass a catalytic converter emissions test on gas without one fitted for example) it seems like a no-brainer.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

mat_fenwick wrote:
KevR wrote:Natural Gas is a bit diffferent in terms of storage and tank filling.
Yeah...a few more precautions in the way of pressures!
Reading Buses have bought a new fleet of Compressed Natural Gas Buses for their No 9 Route. The gas cylinders are installed on the roof hidden behind fairings.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Stobarts and most of the supermarket chains have equipped their trucks to run on CNG. They usually have an extra tank fitted next to the ad blue tank.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Perkins were working on carbon fibre tanks rather than steel - not sure if that came to anything?
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

mds141 wrote:Stobarts and most of the supermarket chains have equipped their trucks to run on CNG. They usually have an extra tank fitted next to the ad blue tank.
That is interesting. I know that gas with a diesel increases the efficiency, which can either be used for extra performance, economy or a bit of both. The diesel igniting under compression is used to ignite the gas, giving a more complete burn. But the payback times if used for economy are huge (think in the region of 100k miles) compared with converting a petrol car. Obviously trucks will do that mileage much more quickly - in a year maybe?

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Home CNG is a dream. LPG is easier and I have a kit that was for a Lada Niva sitting idle. Once I have settled on vehicles a bit more that might find its way into something that is being used as a daily. I have threatened the Wolesely 4/44 with a V8 lump plus the LPG just because. Does not really make sense though. I nearly put it on my last Tatra 603. No real answer to that LPG thing yet and Lada Nivas are extinct.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

As Mat knows I do like the idea of a V8 LPG and very nearly bought a Land Rover 110 V8 LPG last year, the main off-putting for me was the size of the gas tank in the bag which took up considerable room, I plummeted for a TD5 Diesel again in the end. I wasn't aware you could use LPG in diesel engines too assuming they needed the spark ignition?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

This is one of the more advanced systems out there, but for an XUD you could get away with a much simpler manual system.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mark239
Confirmed BX'er

Post by mark239 »

Defender110 wrote:False economy with all the extra fuel filter changes, the sourcing of the fuel and the internet is littered with cry's for help from users who have knackered up their fuel injection systems up and cars refusing to start in the cold. Run the correct fuel and have a trouble free motoring life :wink: :roll:
Friend of mine has run a Mercedes 190d on straight waste veg oil for over 300,000 miles over 18 years. The negligible cost of fuel filters is massively negated by the cost of the raw fuel (zero)

And he only filters it through fine muslin!

In winter,a dash of unleaded makes it easier to start however he does use a fuel preheater now.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

mat_fenwick wrote:
mds141 wrote:Stobarts and most of the supermarket chains have equipped their trucks to run on CNG. They usually have an extra tank fitted next to the ad blue tank.
That is interesting. I know that gas with a diesel increases the efficiency, which can either be used for extra performance, economy or a bit of both. The diesel igniting under compression is used to ignite the gas, giving a more complete burn. But the payback times if used for economy are huge (think in the region of 100k miles) compared with converting a petrol car. Obviously trucks will do that mileage much more quickly - in a year maybe?
When I was working on refrigerated deliveries, the Scania R500 V8 we had was double shifted, so was averaging 1,400 kms a day. Average fuel consumption was around 9 mpg pulling a 24 tonne load.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

mark239 wrote:
Defender110 wrote:False economy with all the extra fuel filter changes, the sourcing of the fuel and the internet is littered with cry's for help from users who have knackered up their fuel injection systems up and cars refusing to start in the cold. Run the correct fuel and have a trouble free motoring life :wink: :roll:
Friend of mine has run a Mercedes 190d on straight waste veg oil for over 300,000 miles over 18 years. The negligible cost of fuel filters is massively negated by the cost of the raw fuel (zero)

And he only filters it through fine muslin!

In winter,a dash of unleaded makes it easier to start however he does use a fuel preheater now.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
Sounds very lucky, but it depends what the oil was used for before donation. Get a lot of nasty chemicals in well used frying oil. Normality is that only filtered used frying oil will take out the pump and attack other components. Of course if the oil has been used for a less stressful purpose, it will be less harmful. As the original link showed treating with Methanol and Sodium or Potassium knocks out much of the problem, drying the oil is a good idea. Those processes do not have to be expensive but it requires known level of oil, space and time and home made kit. The end result is not yet Biodiesel but would run OK. All the people I know who have tried to shortcut using untreated oil have not made money, if they are honest about it. Duffed engines, breakdowns, poor performance and costs like 'being late for work' and pissing the wife off - meal/flowers/chocs fine to pay, or worse. (Ex bizz so I always put a cost to an overhead. I know what each project cost. Bit anal but old habits die hard and this was one reason I was more successful that other folks I competed with. Its easy to make an artificial profit, ignoring storage, transport, the bust wheel from that trip, and so on).
My bud, Mike, does save money but buys in bulk from a cash and carry and pours veggie unmodified through a succession of old cars he runs for a fixed period before changing cars. That is the way to do it, but it does not work if you want to keep a specific car.

Range Rovers. Is it me or are there no good cheaper ones about? I fancied one but all I have looked at is ill modified or maintained junk. To be honest they stopped making proper RR ages ago, before the P38 - ominously named after a brand of filler there, coming in. I want one for the country so all the extras are not wanted and neither the oversized engine option. Get into older RR and its a dream world. Good early RR are getting expensive. I think the only way I can get what I want is to find a donor ID, a suitable body and build one properly! I see why these horrible double cab pick ups have taken over. It comes to something when a full pick up is seen as an expensive option of a car! ASa means to an ends I looked at them. Tax advantage, mostly better build quality and if you pick the right one they are better in the poo because most RR have pathetic suspension on them, as they were to tight to treat with Citroen. So no adjustable suspension to go with the power locks etc etc. Anyway after looking at much rubbish and stolen, miss advertised and fraudulently offered cars on eBay I thin its simpler not to have one!

Fraudulent? Indeed. One ad I followed up insisted you must 'phone to view. So I did not but did a drive-by to check out this 'business'. Looked good, dirty great forecourt, loads of stock. So I trotted in and asked about the pickup. They had never heard of it. So we checked details, checked eBay on the computer. Boss left me with underling to see 'if I was interested in anything else on the forecourt'. Nope, I hung around as I wanted to find out what was going on. Boss returned and said he now understood what was going on. THey had had several vehicles 'returned' to the dealership that they had not sold. So this seller was using the end of a bona_fide business forecourt to pass of his dodgy deals as if backed by that company. I left him calling the police. Be careful buying out there guys, its getting nasty.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

With the Merc 190, is the pump lubricated by engine oil rather than the fuel it's running on? I know that older Merc diesels did, which means the lubricative properties of the fuel are less important.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

The older Merc diesels are legendery for being able to be run on pretty much anything, so i'm not surprised about doing 300k using vegie.

I've only every used brand new veggie oil, so i don't have to do frequent filter changes, i do check it more often though than if i was just using diesel, not found any adverse problems so far, but i only use it in the summer & probably not much more than 30%, plus i like the smell ;)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.