Odd LHM leak from regulator

BX Tech talk
richg
Confirmed BX'er

Odd LHM leak from regulator

Post by richg »

Hey up and NY greetings. There are two LMH leaks ( what only two!).One is from the Y joint connecting the plastic return (?) pipes - this is above the cross member on the LHS.The other is around the regulator.

Problem: the leak at the regulator only seems to appear after a run - with the car stationary and engine running (height lever in any position) there are no leaks visible.

What could cause this - assume it is low pressure - could it be a faulty strut, height regulator
Also is it possible that a problem like this could reduce the pressure in the regulator sphere?

My BX MOT always falls at the worst time of the year - like now!

The A40 Farina is having to earn its living - which it does without complaint

Richard
Thread Bear
1K Away

Re: Odd LHM leak from regulator

Post by Thread Bear »

Ho ho. My two favourite joints. Always popping off.

The bot of accumulator has a big pipe turning into a little plastic pipe. That seems to be an item that fails. I have had two that looked fine but had gone porous. I think part of the problem here is that it is so called low pressure. But on my older car the fluid was still ejected at some considerable pressure. Perhaps there is a valve in there which looses its efficiency while still operating OK for driving. Bit like a scratched record. It does all you want but not quite perfect. Its cheap to replace while they are still available. I sneaked a look at a few and Mr Clip does seem to like lodging here on many cars suggesting its a weakness.

The Y joint is a little Bast*rd. I assume one reason it blows pipes off is the above bit of extra pressure sneaking through. But it is a regular occurrence on some BX and there seem multiple reasons. It does not help with the Y joint being made of green plastic that becomes passable as wet parmasan cheese in 20 years. I have yet to throw this bit away, but it is a pain in the 'arris and a candidate for replacement with something more serviceable, or at least in a position where you can actually get at it on the rainy night it fails in the middle of Dartmoor. A Citroen own goal there.

The more experience will now tell you something important.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
richg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by richg »

thanks - obviously you've been there before

I have a couple of new Y connectors ( part no 5270 14) which look very much like the Y connector that joins the return pipes by the LHM tank . Would one of these be do for the 'little bastard'.

Not sure about the point you make about the regulator. Is the pipe replaceable or the valve. Do you know the part no ?.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

this Y joint ( shouldn't this be a T joint???? ) usually continuously pops apart after it has been apart once, and when its getting a little bit elderly/incontinent :shock: :roll: :wink: ,

here is price and part No. of a genuine new Y ,
not that cheap really but it will 99% of the time fix it long term,

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
5451210 RET TUBE SLEEVE 12.65 GBP 15.18 GBP 15.18 GBP

the other things that can cause it to blow apart at the Y or at the regulator, is the sphere low/out of gas,
or high pressure leaking back into the low pressure circuit, from the likes of the steering ram

here is price and part No. for the joint 527014 you refer to,
service citroen show ( as a T not a Y ) this one at the middle of the rear sub frame, also shows the same part No, as a Y at the tank vent

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
0000527014 3 WAY UNION 4.89 GBP 5.87 GBP 5.87 GBP

im sure it would serve the purpose of the original front connector, be it a Y or a T

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

On the cars I have had to pull apart it has been a green 'Y' item as used on the top of the reserve (handy place for a spare), but that has no bearing as to if it is the correct part! It is what I found fitted. A 'T' piece would be easier to fabricate in a solid medium offering no chance to blow apart.

The regulator pipe is a little more difficult as it is designed to be a push on. I am actually moving right now so part number on spare not to hand but it is probably as you suggest, rubber pipe about three inches long.

I am advised most BXers have transferred to readily obtainable 'T' pieces instead of the green jobs anyway. Various available from various sources. Their solution works. But try one of your green meanies if you want a quick try tomorrow - if it is not raining! If you look at my blog you will see I have chased a leak across the car. Hopefully yours is more simple to stop.
Last edited by Thread Bear on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
richg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by richg »

Hi Malcom - what you say makes sense re high pressure leaking across into the low pressure side. I did notice some stiffness in the steering a while ago but its not noticeable at the moment. Could the same thing happen in the suspension struts ?

Also could this 'leaking across' cause the pressure to reduce in the sphere? Is there any way of checking the sphere pressure without the proper kit. The guy who changed one for me recently said the one taken off the car 'felt a bit light'.

The green joints (527014) I have are Ys as Thread Bear has said. ( thanks I`ll check your blog)

Do you think changing the joints is the way to go or should I be trying to track down the cause eg the steering ram or any thing else where high pressure leaks could occur ? As the leak around the regulator only seems to appear after the car has been driven on the road and difficult to see exactly where the drips of LHM are coming from - but assume it must be from the low pressure returns otherwise much more fluid would be evident.

Richard
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

o belive the primary cause is the rubber aging, or getting engine/gear box oil on it,

if the struts have a high pressure blow by, they usually pop the leg return pipe/s off under the wheel arch,

you could test the steering ram for excess blow by, just unplug the thin plastic return were it joins the three way union (the one that is popping apart ) plug the open port of the union,
then whilst watching the open pipe end have someone wind the steering fully from lock to lock,

now the reg sphere, if this is low or completely flat you get more frequent ticking from the regulator,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

ADMIN aint this thread in the wrong hole/slot

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
richg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by richg »

Hi Malcolm - all sorted now. Changed the regulator block and plastic pipe joints etc.

This piece is no longer available.

5451210 RET TUBE SLEEVE 12.65 GBP 15.18 GBP 15.18 GBP

See you
Richard