Draining radiator BX TXD

BX Tech talk
jhunt

Draining radiator BX TXD

Post by jhunt »

I am about to drain the radiator for the first time to put antifreeze in and wonder if someone could tell me which nuts or hose to undo please?

Thanks

John
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Re: Draining radiator BX TXD

Post by RobC »

The thick bottom hose on the radiator is the best bet. Not sure what side it's on on diesel models but assume it is on the left as you look at the car, i.e. on the same side as the hydraulic tank. Be sure to have the heater tap on fully hot, to have the radiator cap off, and to flush the system thoroughly afterwards until clear water comes out.

After refilling make sure it's bled properly.

Good luck.
1991 Citroen BX 16v
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Absolutely that above much neglected flushing of system has sent many bx for scrap, always flush my d and td every change.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

There's a plastic drain plug at the bottom right hand side, unscrew it 90 degrees and pull it out (it won't pull all the way out without depressing the locking tabs) once you have undone it then remove the radiator cap to prevent vacuum in the system.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
jhunt

Post by jhunt »

Many thanks.

I will do that.
I assume that I would flush with a water hose in the radiator. Not sure where I find the bleed nuts and would appreciate any advice on those if you can.

Thanks again.
John

RobC wrote:The thick bottom hose on the radiator is the best bet. Not sure what side it's on on diesel models but assume it is on the left as you look at the car, i.e. on the same side as the hydraulic tank. Be sure to have the heater tap on fully hot, to have the radiator cap off, and to flush the system thoroughly afterwards until clear water comes out.

After refilling make sure it's bled properly.

Good luck.
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

if it's a N/A diesel there's a drain bolt / plug on the rear of the block about half way up... I doubt you'll get all the old coolant out without undoing this...
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Not sure about the bleed nuts on the diesel but on the 1.6 petrol it is up near the distributor which equates to high up on gearbox side of engine when you don't have one! (dizzy that is). Just find the highest point in the system and there should be a bleed screw, though mostly just running through and topping the rad for a few days does the trick.

It is pretty easy to take the radiator out to flush it btw so consider that. Hopefully what you drain is clear or at worst slightly opaque with no signs of rust but signs of antifreeze colour.

Remember to use a 50/50 antifreeze and DISTILLED water not tap water when you refill the system and do not mix the different colour antifreeze mixtures, blue, green and pink. If you use tap water there is active oxygen in it that allows for increased corrosion inside the system which then potentially blocks the radiator. It also risks popping any core plugs out, furring the system etc etc. It is essential on aluminium engines but worth it on cast iron blocks and heads as it still keeps down corrosion. Check your hoses are still in good condition whilst at it, the rubber parts are getting old on some of these cars and more prone to failure.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

If you look very carefully at the bottom right I have circled the bleed screw in red, there is a similar drain screw below this at the bottom of the radiator.

Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Sorry about the size my IT skills are minimal although slowly improving.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
jhunt

Post by jhunt »

Thanks. It great to be in touch with experts!

John

Tinkley wrote:Not sure about the bleed nuts on the diesel but on the 1.6 petrol it is up near the distributor which equates to high up on gearbox side of engine when you don't have one! (dizzy that is). Just find the highest point in the system and there should be a bleed screw, though mostly just running through and topping the rad for a few days does the trick.

It is pretty easy to take the radiator out to flush it btw so consider that. Hopefully what you drain is clear or at worst slightly opaque with no signs of rust but signs of antifreeze colour.

Remember to use a 50/50 antifreeze and DISTILLED water not tap water when you refill the system and do not mix the different colour antifreeze mixtures, blue, green and pink. If you use tap water there is active oxygen in it that allows for increased corrosion inside the system which then potentially blocks the radiator. It also risks popping any core plugs out, furring the system etc etc. It is essential on aluminium engines but worth it on cast iron blocks and heads as it still keeps down corrosion. Check your hoses are still in good condition whilst at it, the rubber parts are getting old on some of these cars and more prone to failure.
Phil Peters
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Phil Peters »

themildbunch wrote:if it's a N/A diesel there's a drain bolt / plug on the rear of the block about half way up... I doubt you'll get all the old coolant out without undoing this...
I second this advice. Having chatted with Dollywobbler at the NEC back in November I decided to flush my cooling system to get rid of the red coolant that had been added by a Citroen independent when the cam belt was changed [-X .

I found that without undoing the drain bolt on the back of the engine a load of old coolant was left in the system.

In the end I had to fill/drain/flush the system 3 times to get the entire system running clear before finally filling up with blue coolant + distilled water and then bleeding the system. It was worth the effort though as the system has been spot on ever since.

1992 BX19 TGD (aka Maurice), N/A diesel, silver with Zenith trim.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Phil Peters wrote: Having chatted with Dollywobbler at the NEC back in November I decided to flush my cooling system to get rid of the red coolant that had been added by a Citroen independent when the cam belt was changed [-X .

Why did you want to get rid of the red antifreeze, it is still a MEG (Mono Ethylene Glycol) based engine coolant suitable for all petrol and diesel engines but is a better/long life antifreeze.
Long Life Antifreeze

The orange/red is a product currently used by many vehicle manufacturers. Orange or Red antifreeze known as long life or extended life antifreeze increases the useful life of engine coolant. Long life antifreeze is also ethylene glycol based.
The difference between the two colours is that Orange / Red antifreeze contains a different type of corrosion inhibitor that has a much longer life than silicates, phosphates and borates. Orange / Red antifreeze contains organic acids that protect engine parts from corrosion.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
Phil Peters
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Phil Peters »

I think the problem in my case was that the system hadn't been completely drained of the old coolant so when the red stuff went in it mixed with the remaining blue coolant and created a red/orange scum. "Precipitates" I think is the correct term. This solidified on the underside of the radiator cap and dried to a soil-like consistency. Very nasty.

Others may have had better experiences using the red coolant but I decided to go back to blue coolant as this was presumably what the car would have originally had back in 1992. I don't mind changing it every two years as it's a good prompt to flush the system and generally check the condition of hoses etc.

1992 BX19 TGD (aka Maurice), N/A diesel, silver with Zenith trim.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I have no problems with the red stuff in Timex, but then all the old coolant had been pushed out by the cracked cylinder head!

There's some new stuff out that apparently works with all types of coolant, but I've not tried it yet.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!