Could something else sound like worn droplinks?

BX Tech talk
adamskibx
BXpert

Could something else sound like worn droplinks?

Post by adamskibx »

You know the sound; the clonk when one wheel goes up in relation to another going down. Well, when my bonnet was open the other day I wanted to confirm to myself that I need new spheres so pushed down on the bumper, only to notice that there is a pinion going through a hole on the front struts; only the hole is ovalated and the pinion (is that the right word?), 'pin' might be more accurate, is free to bounce up and down about 1mm, which in theory would make the sound of worn droplinks, which this car currently has.

Is it a known wear point?

Thanks

Adam
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Could something else sound like worn droplinks?

Post by rutter123 »

Other known wear to front end components could be, bottom ball joints, track rod ends, or wishbone bushes, all are prone to wear on a bx and causing various "knocking noises".of course worn front struts or loose subframe-or rusted away subframe mounts can also be the cause, unfortunately a full strip down of these parts is the only way to really check. Bearing in mind most of these components are prob best part of 20yrs old or more. Hopefully not the latter causing the prob.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Thanks - It's definately nothing rust related. It's nice and oily round the sudframe! All I know is that the suspension seems tight and flew through it's MOT, and that droplinks are only really an annoyance and not really significant in detramentally affecting the behavior of the car, unless someone knows more than me on this subject? Essentially there is potentially 1mm of free roll before the anti-roll bar kicks in and that's if they were really bad, and the fact that cars work fine without an anti-roll bar at all makes me think, if there's one knock to leave until a summers day, it's this one. I only noticed that the strut top retaiing pin is allowed to wiggle by virtue of the fact that wear has occured, and that it does make a sound when your leaning into the open engine bay and jigging the car up and down, and I wondered whether this could be what I am hearing rather than the usual drop links. In reality, it's most likely both!
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

can you add a picy or two of the offending object,

could it be the strut shaft, if so is/has the strut top nut been loose for some time, causing the the ovulated :shock: :wink: hole,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Thanks Malcolm. I've not had a chance to look again. Hopefully there is nothing serious loose.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Check the wishbone bushes (rubber disintegrates with age) and steering ball joints, also the 24mm (flats) wishbone nuts are tight. The knocking I had from droplinks was over little ruts especially with steering turned. The knocking from more straight ahead bumps/holes was more wishbone bushes. The clunking sound I was getting when taking up drive turned out to be a wishbone nut not tight enough ie had slackened after replacing bushes.

Each one is actually a distinctly different sound but perversely you have to hear them and fix them one by one to learn which one is which!.

Droplinks are about £40 a pair - Euro will get them for you if you ask. Bushes are about a tenner, can be a bit of a pain to do. Very tight fit in the wishbone, hacksaw the old ones out, see Forum threads on it. Steering ball joint about £12 -17 and you need the quadrant tool or a way of knocking it round in teh hub. Best done with hub off.
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

Tinkley - could you explain how to 'check the rubber bushes'? visual, crowbar? My car has two two annoying noise habits - 1st is a creak from osf when I pull away (I suspect lower engine mount). Second is a creak from osf as I get to the bottom of the hill outside the house and make a near 90' turn as the road veers to the left. The previous BX had that same annoying creak on that same road! Never have been able to find out why.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Rubber wishbone bushes could be shot due to oil contamination, usually the rear ones- as u said its nice and oily, the oil can make the wishbone bushes quite supple, the creaking could well be the front struts needing some lube. You can check the bushes by using a crow bar against the subframe checking for free play and any considerable movement. Have seen well shot bushes many times on bx''s some almost to the point of no rubber left which will in turn make your steering quite vague and unresponsive. My tzdt was well worn in these depts new bushes tie rods and bottom ball joints soon put it right and made a vast difference, tho the bushes are sods to remove/refit a local engineering co pressed out the old and fitted the new for a few quid.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

My wishbone bushes were dry and I could see the perished rubber ie little cracks. It also on one side got sloppy enough to give the steering a definite wobble at the wheel at low speed say 10-15mph just let go the wheel in a straight line. By 20+ years old I cannot believe any BX has sound bushes, if still tight they will be perished.

Disagree that the old bushes are sods to remove, they move fine once you hacksaw through the steel, just be careful not to hit the wishbone. Once the tension is off they knock out OK. Getting the new ones in is harder but if you have a serious vice with some collars they can be squeezed in - they are harder IMHO but even my 12" Record woodworking vice managed it eventually. Remember to lube up the bush and wishbone before squeezing in though.

Your noise with a 90 deg corner may be the handbrake cable scuffing on the inside of the wheel. Note even the handbook says 'do not apply handbrake when on full lock'. It is pretty tight inside there for the cable run radius.