BX TU engine swap?

BX Tech talk
Stinkwheel
1K Away

BX TU engine swap?

Post by Stinkwheel »

Has anyone done or even looked into swapping say a 1.6 TU into a BX 14?

Im thinking if the bottom castings in particular to take the pump but also, will the carb manifold bolt onto the injected 8v TU head?

Anyone?
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: BX TU engine swap?

Post by Kitch »

Haven't tried it but it should be easy enough. You can use the 1400 head on the 1600 block, though you'd be best off using the 1600 one as the valves are bigger.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Had a similar idea using a TU5J4 (120hp from a saxo) into my currently redundant tgd1.9na as a project for this year, i dont see why a tu wouldnt fit as late bx14's use a tu type engine, i guess it would mean some jiggery pokery with mountings etc and finding suitable driveshafts and gearbox/linkages, but a possibility none the less, i believe this conversion has been done before but how successfull i dont know.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Thanks for thoughts folks.

Im thinking as they are both TU's that maybe using the exsisting BX14 gearbox/shafts etc will be OK and just bolt the block up (assuming all TU's have the same bolt pattern for gearbox mounting that is)
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Surely the gerabox ratios must be different? The shafts will be the same though. Long as it's not a 150 engined 14....
Both engines have good ratios IMHO so I don't think I like it lower geared.

Not sure but I think the front spheres are slightly higher pressure for the 1.6. They were different from my old 150 engined one, if I remember correctly.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Tinkley, yes its a TU car, wouldnt try with a 150 suitcase, too rare to spoil now :)

The 14 is a bit short geared in TU form but with a 1600 im hoping maybe for a good quick low down car and i wont be changing looks, i want it to be a quick(ish) Q car type BX :)

I may buy a cheap saxo tu from local scrappies soon.
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Stinkwheel wrote:Tinkley, yes its a TU car, wouldnt try with a 150 suitcase, too rare to spoil now :)

The 14 is a bit short geared in TU form but with a 1600 im hoping maybe for a good quick low down car and i wont be changing looks, i want it to be a quick(ish) Q car type BX :)

I may buy a cheap saxo tu from local scrappies soon.
There was a change in bolt patterns some point in the mid-90's, but I can't remember if it only affected the starter motor or whether it prevents interchangable gearboxes. Been out of the loop too long, but there will be plenty of info on MA gearbox interchangability and ratios etc. The Saxo VTR uses fairly tall ratios, and your driveshafts etc will still fit, so if you used a VTR engine and gearbox, you'll be fine. The silver-top engines have roller rockers, and the latest ones have bigger valves. You'd loose some oomph by bolting a carb onto it in place of the fuel injection, and you'd also likely have to get an inlet made to fit, but on the face it of it'd be pretty easy to do. The 16v lump would be harder, and pointless to be fair as it isn't a patch on the XU9J4 and would require a fair bit more work to fit.

Only thing to consider is the 1600 is an iron block, where as the 1400 (in low-spec form) was an alloy block, so you've got a 25-30kg weight penalty there. That said, if you carry a couple of passengers you go way above that and you suspension doesn't tend to notice, so I'd leave the spheres etc as they are for now, unless you plan on making it 100bhp plus and intend to drive hard!

The TU5 is a better engine than the XU5, without a doubt. It'll feel pretty peppy to a standard BX16 and outright fast compared with a BX14.

Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Funny that about the block material, I'm sure the 2009 1.6 C4 we have has an alloy block, though whether it would fit, I doubt. It crossed my mind because there was a possibility it might be written off from the head on last summer.....
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Tinkley wrote:Funny that about the block material, I'm sure the 2009 1.6 C4 we have has an alloy block, though whether it would fit, I doubt. It crossed my mind because there was a possibility it might be written off from the head on last summer.....
It'd be the first alloy TU5 I've ever seen if it is :lol:

Leegt

Post by Leegt »

It maybe the newer ew engine that is fitted into the minis in that year of c4. I've had a few late 207 in n/a 1.6 with the newer engine in think that's alloy
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Stinkwheel wrote:
Would you remember to alter its tax class. Tempting, what! I forget what the cut of is now. A silly size like 1545cc.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Thread Bear wrote:
Stinkwheel wrote:
Would you remember to alter its tax class. Tempting, what! I forget what the cut of is now. A silly size like 1545cc.

I expect i would remember, im sure thats what i'd do :^o
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It was a real PITA trying to do that for the BX. So much so I almost gave up! They wanted a receipt from the garage which carried out the work, or one for the purchase of the replacement engine. Didn't seem to understand me doing it myself, using the engine from a car which had been given to me - despite photographic evidence. In the end they wanted a report from a garage on headed paper, which fortunately my local MOT place did for a favour when I took it for a test.

All this for going UP in capacity and no change in taxation class...I dread to think what they'd require if you made a change to get cheaper tax!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

mat_fenwick wrote:It was a real PITA trying to do that for the BX. So much so I almost gave up! They wanted a receipt from the garage which carried out the work, or one for the purchase of the replacement engine. Didn't seem to understand me doing it myself, using the engine from a car which had been given to me - despite photographic evidence. In the end they wanted a report from a garage on headed paper, which fortunately my local MOT place did for a favour when I took it for a test.

All this for going UP in capacity and no change in taxation class...I dread to think what they'd require if you made a change to get cheaper tax!

Agreed Mat, some insurance companies and DVLA are quite funny about engine changes these days.

So far this is hypothetical, but im pretty sure im gooing to have a play sometime this coming year.
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Call me a crook but I wouldn't even tell them. Externally they're nearly identical. They'd only know if they had a resident PSA engine expert, and having worked in the trade I can tell you.....nobody is.