Choke light on

BX Tech talk
pwykes
Confirmed BX'er

Choke light on

Post by pwykes »

Hi Chaps.
Has anybody out there come across this one when I turn on the ignition the choke light illuminates, I struggle get my head round this one because the vehicle in question is a Citroen Bx 1.9 rd estate and does not have a choke fitted.
Cheers Phil.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Choke light on

Post by Tim Leech »

Strange, it should be the glowplug light! doed it go out when the car starts?

Most BX's had the provision for both glowplug and coil facilities but not all were used.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

The orange glowplug light should have a symbol that looks like a coil - choke light will probably be 2 vertical lines (signifying a tube) with a diagonal line between them (signifying the choke vane). If you have the latter in your diesel then it might be that someone has changed the instrument pod for one from a petrol engined BX and the choke and glowplug lights are possibly in the same place.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
pwykes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pwykes »

Thanks for your replies.
The orange light is the choke butterfly symbol and is positioned on the bottom row of indicators just to the right of the main centre vertical red warning lights. The light always remains on and somtimes varies in intensity. Had this beast of a car for 22 years so panel as not been changed and light as only recently come on. Does anyone know were the choke switch is positoned on a petrol car? could it be on the engine or is it simply a switch on the choke puller itself, suspect a rubbing wire to earth. Otherwise i will take the dash out and remove the bulb for the mot that will fix it forever.
Thanks Phil.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

That's interesting ! My dash (admittedly the later one) simply doesn't have a choke symbol on it anywhere. You're probably right about a rubbing wire by the sounds of it. Most BXs AFAIK have auto chokes so no need for a warning light. Where are you based Phil - local assistance may be forthcoming.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Its only the 1.4 and 16RE models that had a manual choke, and I think the contacts were on the cable mechanism itself, very strange that one! I would probably just remove the bulb!
pwykes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pwykes »

Thanks for the help of a crash team.
I removed the dashboard panel and checked the wiring, the ov wire from the light sets off into the loom and as a steady reading of 15 ohms to earth. I moved wires about in the engine compartment and around the fuse box and nothing seems to alter the resistance. So i have removed the bulb as fix, I think this sort of technology is called bodging. Thanks for your help.
Phil.
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

Do you actually have a glow plug light somewhere else that comes on and turns out as normal?
1991 Citroen BX 16v
pwykes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pwykes »

i do, everything else is fine except for the wife who cannot get her head around Citroen BX's she just keeps saying take it to the scrapyard and i say well there is only 34 of this model left on the road, told her it will be worth £20000 in 10 years but she's not convinced.
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

How mysterious!

It doesn't have ABS an an aftermarket option perhaps...? That also could be the cause of yellow lights.

Ignore the wife.
1991 Citroen BX 16v
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

If it doesn't have a manual choke it seems perfectly legitimate to remove the offending bulb.

The dodgy connector could be lurking under the battery tray. Probably not worth the time or trouble looking for it though.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

pwykes wrote:. So i have removed the bulb as fix, I think this sort of technology is called bodging.
Phil.

Welcome to the BXCLUB! :D