Notchy Steering

BX Tech talk
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: Notchy Steering

Post by Tinkley »

All I can add, is that when I changed the front subframe and replaced (one side, the other was only a year old) the wishbone bushes, the steering was decidedly lighter. Not had her retracked but no odd tyre wear or wobble, tracks true with hands off wheel at any speed.
Last edited by Tinkley on Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Floods receding to there planned places me steering and drive shaft wobbling is gone. Got to be naffed but the effect of deep water was remarkable. Will it all last until its warmer?
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

I thought I would hijack this thread for my own car, for it has notchy steering these days, yet it's not power assisted. It only seems noticeable between 5 and 10 MPH, but when it's 'off notch' it requires little or no effort to steer, and while it's 'on notch', it requires a slightly greater than usual force - It feels like something to do with the rack and pinion being dry or something, but I can't be sure. Also, I am sure it's something else, but since I have corrected the front ride height (might be slightly lower than usual but then the spheres are half dead so no chance of bottoming out), there is a vibration through the wheel and knocking sound when turning hard right while the road is wet. From my 2CV days I would have said this is a track rod end wearing out, but I guess it could be a loose rack. Has anybody ever had these symptoms? Drop links need doing for sure but these should not affect the car in this way.

Thanks,

Adam
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Adam
have you checked the UJ in the steering column

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Hi Malcolm - No, and coming to think of it, the failure of this is exactly what it feels like, however there is no play in it as you can rock the steering left to right and there are no knocks while stationary. Ill try to check this tomorrow.

Thanks,

Adam