Windscreen pillar door hinge split seam

BX Tech talk
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Windscreen pillar door hinge split seam

Post by maxgreenwood »

I know a guy over here where the door hinge plate has completely split from the windscreen pillar across the horizontal seam with a 2mm gap on his BX. What's the story with that? Does that seriously compromise the whole cars strength /is it safe to drive?
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
citronut
Over 2k

Re: Windscreen pillar door hinge split seam

Post by citronut »

you might find the windscreen will crack if the car is driven in that state

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
HZman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by HZman »

Had that on both front doors of the BX19 I just sold. They were welded up about 6 years ago and caused no problem since, although the guy who welded the passenger door wasn't so good and allowed the door to drop very slightly.

Also the same thing, both sides on the Estate. Driver side was already welded when I bought it last year (with a plate off the Queen Mary I think!!). However, the windscreen did crack, starting at the top on the passenger side, a few weeks after I bought it. New plate welded in and new windscreen fitted and it has been OK for the past 8 months. There was no obvious sign of external chips in the glass but evidence of rust in the frame in the area where the crack started so can't necessarily relate it to the door hinge crack.
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

The windscreen does have a crack in it actually maybe that's why

It hasn't had an NCT for 10 years
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

maxgreenwood wrote:
It hasn't had an NCT for 10 years

Wont be getting one anytime soon either by the sounds of it, Screens can crack if the car flex's and if the pillar has let go thats what will happen.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

I was toying with the idea of taking it on - it's the 1989 19TRS auto in Kerry, Ireland in olympic blue with mk1 alloys .. and air-con!
Hi spec car at the time. I saw it end of July last year. It's been sitting around for ages. I was surprised it has no rust in the front wheel arches/wings , and boot only just showing rust signs, but it does have some round the windscreen, and that door hinge has split.

Needs a load of work to recommision. It's just over here the fact it's Irish registered is worth something as it costs minimum €720 to import and register a BX form UK - Scandalous!

He wants too much for it anyway, he'll have trouble getting more than scrap i think.

Tim, I think the 16TXS is a better bet really if i can get it through the MOT without too much trouble. Might keep it at my mum's in the UK for a bit.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's helped me make my mind up