More Oil Leaks & More Questions.

BX Tech talk
David
BXpert

More Oil Leaks & More Questions.

Post by David »

Hi Again All.

After trying to tackle a few little problems on my BX (posted a few months ago now) I have found a few more & wondering how to tackle them.

After replacing the main hydraulic pipe from the pump to flow distributor I have noticed the pump its self is leaking LHM from behind the pulley. How do I replace the oil seal behind this to fix it & stop it leaking? (its the diesel type pump mounted on the gearbox)

Also I have noticed a oil leak from the transfer box from behind the propshaft drive. I know the engine is going to have to come out to fix this, but the question is: How does the shaft dismantle to replace the oil seal(s) behind it. From what I remember its like a square nut on it. Also are there any problems I might come across worth mentioning? (Ie the transfer box internally dropping apart!)

There are still another long list of leaks (including some of them mentioned last time), but I will try to fix these first.

(Ps: I haven't had a chance to upload any pictures of the 4x4 conversion yet, But I haven't forgotten).

Thanks in advance.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: More Oil Leaks & More Questions.

Post by rutter123 »

i believe the lhm pump oil seal can be replaced but the pulleys and casing are sods to get off...good luck with that, might be worth giving martin at plaedies a call for advice as they are the experts on rebuilding pumps.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Hi, Thanks for the reply.
So the whole pump has to come apart for just one oil seal?!?

rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

I believe so, would it not be worth sourcing a good used s/h pump? This would prob be a simpler solution and a lot less hassle. A refurbed pump will cost approx £130 from pladies exchange. Not sure which pump the 4x4 uses.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Thanks for the advice, I will keep a eye out on Ebay then.
rutter123 wrote: Not sure which pump the 4x4 uses.
Here's the funny question. As I have converted a standard diesel meteor auto to manual & 4x4, it uses the standard diesel pump. :D

Has anyone got any idea how to change that oil seal in the transfer box?

David
BXpert

Post by David »

Just a quick update.

I have got the engine out. Again.

After removing everything, I found all the oil on the gearbox was LHM from the hydraulic pump, & the gear oil on the subframe from the transfer box. I have got the transfer box in the shed, but the question remains, - How does that rear square nut come off?

To start with a regular socket won't fit, & after getting a 34mm spanner on it, Its very tight. Is it left hand thread? or does it just need hitting with a big hammer? Also will a spanner undo it or will it need the special socket for it? (if so where will I get one from?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David
BXpert

Post by David »

Hi Again All,

Finally, After all the questions about the transfer box I have some answers to share!

The square nut is a standard right hand thread & very tight. In the end I put a 34mm spanner on it sideways, put a adjustable spanner on that so I could pull on it & then put a long pipe on that to undo it!

The shaft needs pulling off with a bearing puller, as it is tight. It has a oil seal inside it. After that is removed the 6 bolts can be removed & the plate pulled off, Behind which is 2 more oil seals & a roller bearing. It appears that the shaft holds the bearing in tight & stops itself wobbling about. & It appears to be the inner seal inside the plate that has been causing my leak (one of).

I will try to get some new seals & reassemble it next week.

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Thanks David, good to have this information (hopefully for when I get one in the future). Knowledge of the 4x4 system on here is fairly limited!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Knoweledge off the 4x4 system seems limited everywhere - even the factory manuals barely mention it! I wonder if the Peugeot system is similar enough that it would be worth trying to find info on that?
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Hi Again All,

Just another update on some of these annoying leaks, some remedies & of course more questions.

The oil seals were replaced in the rear of the transfer box & I have put all the front of the car back together.
After it was reassembled I found another leak from the gearbox! :x It was the input shaft seal Again! :evil: I have replaced that. Again. (I must be getting good, I had the 4x4 gearbox out in 2 hours) :) .

The oil level sensor was leaking slightly, so rather than having an inaccessible leak behind the transfer box & a unreliable clock I removed it & put a blanking plug in its hole. I then altered the oil pressure clock so it works only on pressure & removed the faulty control board from behind it. (I can give details on the mod if anyone is interested).

I managed to find a HP pump in the shed (something else I didn't know I had), & while I was reassembling it I put some sealant around the sides of the FDV to stop that dripping.

While the engine was out I realised the water pump was also f***ed, so that was replaced.

Hopefully that's the front sealed up... on to the rear:

The fuel tank has some diesel down the side of it, I hope its the filler pipe, otherwise I will need a 4x4 tank. (or some way of sealing it, Any suggestions? :?: ) [-o<

I have removed the leaky filler pipe to put the extra fuel tank & pipe on off Mulley's car, & found a hole behind the rear bumper, in the wheel arch :x . So I have welded that up & checked the other side to find a big hole :evil: ! So I have welded that up & I have painted it all today. I'm thinking of re routing the sunroof pipes so they don't run on the metal, but that's another story.

The leaking pipes between the spheres & cylinders I have put some sealant & sealing tape around. I didn't know what else to do with it (but don't know if its worked yet). Any better suggestions here? :?:

The sphere support that was leaking on the drivers side was just a loose HP pipe :oops: .

I'm going to take the right rear brake calliper off Mulley's car to fix that leak, But the left one on that has a seized bleed screw. So I'm unsure what to do here. Which is worse, a leaking screw or a seized screw? :?:

Also another possible problem I have noticed, the rear height corrector had some oil on it. I'm not 100% sure if it is that, But if it is leaking how will I fix that? :?: I don't think 2 of the pipes will undo (I left them in & hung the corrector on string when I removed the axle).

Any more help & advice would be appreciated.

bx petrol auto saloon
BXpert
My Cars: Citroens SAABs and Vauxhalls

Post by bx petrol auto saloon »

Dear David,
With regards to your leaking rear height corrector ( I have just recently stopped mine from weeping ) I managed to obtain a rebuild kit from Martin at Pleaides, about £ 30 if I remeber correctly David :wink: you will need to strip the height corrector completly to renew both seals inside and becareful that you mark and be aware of the correct position of everything as they only come apart one way and can only be rebuilt in exactly the same direction that they come apart, and also be mindfull of the small circlip inside :wink: :D
I hope this helps :wink:
Vince,
Passion Hydropneumatic Citroen,s

Cars;- 1993 White Citroen BX 1.6 TXi petrol
saloon auto with air-con & ABS.
47,594 Miles from new.
Owned for 3 years sorned.
1988 Silver SAAB 900i 2.0 8v F/lift,
saloon 5sp with 3 spoke Ronals,
69,000 Miles from new.
Owned for 15 years T & T.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

it may be possible to replace all the rubbery bits of a rear height corrector in situe,
but not being familiar with the layout of a 4X4 so not sure on the access space around the rear sub frame,

the rubbery bits are also available from for £14.50

Darin at

http://shop.citroenclassics.co.uk/heigh ... -253-p.asp

although the first thing to check on the height corrector is the seepage return rubber coupling pipe is not perished/split,
as this is a very simple job to do

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Hi Again All,

Just another update,

I have put the extra fuel tank off Mulley's car on mine & that seems to have sorted the fuel leak (Hopefully).

The pipes between the rear spheres & cylinders were still leaking so I put some rubber seals I found in them & that seems to have fixed them (Finally!),
I put the right rear brake calliper off Mulley's car on & the bleed screw started seeping on that! So I put rubber seals underneath both & bled them out & that seems to have sealed them. (Finally!).

The rubber covers on the rear suspension cylinders; I have squashed some standard 2wd ones on & that seems to have fixed them leaks.

The height corrector; I can't get 2 of the pipes undone so I will probably need new pipes before I do anything with that. It is dripping though. Access isn't too bad; not much different than a standard car really, but the rear diff is partly in the way.

I will have to check again to make sure the above leaks have actually sealed.

Some more questions;
Has anyone got any ideas how to undo the pipes without damaging them?
How does the height corrector come apart?
& would it be possible to repair the corrector without removing it?

Any more help would be appreciated.

citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

with the height corrector it is possible to replace the rubbery bits in situe,
but if your not sure how it comes apart get hold of a spare one to dismantle on the bench,

this way you will see which bits go where

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)