shimming arm bearings.

BX Tech talk
really?
BXpert

shimming arm bearings.

Post by really? »

anyone able to tell me how to work out which shim, or wedge, i need to use when i'm putting the bearings back in on the rear arms? have got the set of 9 shims (part no 514327) and the skf bearings, but dont know, and cant find, any measurements. the haynes book of lies isn't very helpful either. help much appreciated.
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Re: shimming arm bearings.

Post by tim »

What I did...... depends on you having kept the original 'top hats' as the pattern ones are so tight you can't move them easily. At least in the kit I bought. Assemble up the spindle assembly on the bench, then push the bearing onto the end of the spindle and then down as far as it will go. Then find a shim which, when placed on top of the bearing, will sit just above the edge of the tube. Logically, you have then taken up the relevant slack. I did this on both of ours last year and everything seems fine.
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

tim - Quote "Then find a shim which, when placed on top of the bearing, will sit just above the edge of the tube" - I'd of thought that there was a nut to tighten up to take up all the slack - then either a clearance to measure or a force to measure to move the arm (using a fishing spring weight device for example)
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

I used feeler gauges between the top hat and chassis mounting, you may have to fit the long bolt first then slowly remove it whilst sliding in the gauges. Helps if u have a cut down bolt to hold the shim in place whilst fitting the new one.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I thought the other technique was to replace like for like shim if one was already fitted to the old set, if not then don't bother?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

MULLEY wrote:I thought the other technique was to replace like for like shim if one was already fitted to the old set, if not then don't bother?
exactly what i do,
rutter123 wrote:I used feeler gauges between the top hat and chassis mounting, you may have to fit the long bolt first then slowly remove it whilst sliding in the gauges. Helps if u have a cut down bolt to hold the shim in place whilst fitting the new one.
i cant see this method working, as the play you need to take up is between the top hat and the outter face of the bearing inner race, which should give the correct bearing pre/load or not as the case may be,

the OE method is done on the bench with all the new parts assembled and placed under load,

my rule of thumb is if the pivot tube is flush with the outer face of both top hat bush's, once you have squeezed/taped the top hat bush's and sals in as far as you can ( with quality parts that is ), his shoudl be as close as you can be,

if the pivot tube is below or protruding from the top hat bush's this will give the wrong re/load

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

By 'protruding' I mean a millitad, not a huge amount! Taper rollers are quite picky and I reckon that allowing just enough to catch a short fingernail on will mean that once tightened up in the car, the bearings will be neither overloaded or suffer from any side play.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

"Millitad" ....Like it, now in my vocabulary. :wink:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

MULLEY wrote:I thought the other technique was to replace like for like shim if one was already fitted to the old set, if not then don't bother?
This is what I do too, and haven't suffered with premature failures. And I have done the miles on the same car afterwards to prove it!

Some years back I spoke to a bearings engineer about a similar design in a motorbike wheel bearing, where the manual stated to measure the resistance to turning in order to select the correct shim. He said that whilst there were tolerances to the grinding of the bearings, they would likely be significantly less than the tolerances in the machining of the housing. So by keeping the same size shim upon reassembly, the bearing load would probably be acceptable.

So not strictly correct by the book, but it seems unlikely to cause much of a reduction in life. Especially as the main failure mode seems to be water ingress causing rust, rather than actually wearing out.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
really?
BXpert

Post by really? »

right, i cant measure the lump of rust that may contain 1 part shim, 1 part bearing race and 1 part spacer/top hat. what i propose to do is assemble the inner end, put it in place, caress the bearing into the outer side of the arm, measure the depth of the hole then the length of the spacer, whatever the difference is, fill it with shim. does that sound about right? i've got some verniers to aid accuracy of the measurement.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Like Malcolm and Mat, I too reused the old shims when replacing the arm bearings. On m/cycle taper needle head races the normal practice to set them up, other than torque measurement is to tighten up a bit too hard initially to make sure the bearings are bedded. Then back right off, and re tighten so the front forks still swing freely and drop to each side. As soon as it is stiff to do so you back it off a tad and clamp it up there. M/cycle head races do wear out in a front/rear direction or from corrossion, the main cure for which is better grease and a bit of tape to keep the salt spray out!.

On front wheel bearings on my old Sunbeam it was similar. Remove split pin, tighten bearing and back off one flat of the hex nut and refit the pin. However this application is slightly different in that it has to allow for heat expansion of the bearing. I do the same on the boat (6-7 meter RIB trailers) bearings which are taper needle and no problems so far. Worst thing thing with those is they are lowered into the water including the sea to launch the boat. Now warm/hot bearings lowered into sea water....mmm. I tend to have to replace one set a year because people do not grease them properly. Plus the grease path to the needles is very poor and the so called seals don't!. The bearing buddies do improve the situation but are not perfect.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I usually leave the shim, if present out, but first I fit the through bolt and tighten it all up on the bench. Then as long as the arm can still pivot and/or there is not excessive play then that is good enough IMO.
Make sure you fill the plastic tube with thin grease to keep it all well lubed and you will be right for another 10 years.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.