Replacement sump gasket - should high temp sealant be used?

BX Tech talk
Mark.T
Confirmed BX'er

Replacement sump gasket - should high temp sealant be used?

Post by Mark.T »

Hello

After a long delay I am managing to find time to work on getting my 1990 19TRS back on the road here in Melbourne - have not posted here for some time either. I'm replacing the clutch as well as various front suspension and brake components along the way.

I've also removed the sump to try and track an oil leak. I found the sump was sealed with a gasket AND black silicone sealant. Is this normal?.. The engine is a 1.9 carb and sump pan is pressed steel. Any guidelines I have seen only refer to using a gasket on this engine and sump. I have the replacement gasket (0030434 - ) which is a hard black material about 2mm thick, and some Corteco 300 sealant.

The engine block was replaced 8 years ago and I noticed, now the sump is off, that the mating face of the underside of the engine is not entirely flat - one of the joints, at the cam belt end, is not flush. Is use of sealant as well as the gasket normal here, or has it possibly been used because the mating surface was not flat?

Some photos are attached (the uneven joint on the underside face of the engine block is circled) and any advice would be welcome.

Cheers
Mark

Underside of engine block - cam belt end.

Replacement gasket

Sump
Mark T.
Melbourne, Australia
BX16 TRS Auto (Series 1)
BX19 TRS (Series 2)
C3 Pluriel
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Replacement sump gasket - should high temp sealant be us

Post by rutter123 »

i always run a thin bead of blue hylomar on each side of the gasket, never had a prob with leaks afterwards, tho i dont think any sealant is used from the factory.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability