Good oil/additive?

BX Tech talk
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Good oil/additive?

Post by maxgreenwood »

Well the 16 Txs is running nice now, adjusted the waxstat to cure its initial lumpy running.

What is the best oil to use, I've just changed it with 10w40 and is there an additive or something I can use to ward off valve stem seal deterioration? It's fine at the moment but I had a bad experience with my other 16 engine, still in the TZS, although that also has bottom end knocking, piston slap and smokes awful. Suspected ring wear.

Also the brakes stick a bit, is that a matter of stripping/cleaning/greasing pistons to ensure they retract properly? It's not bad but don't like the idea of it affecting fuel consumption.

Any advice appreciated as always!
Thanks
Max
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: Good oil/additive?

Post by citsncycles »

Strip and clean of the brakes, including hand brake, is a good idea.

As for engine oil, I tend to go for a cheaper oil, and change it often, particularly if it uses or loses some. I have used oil seal reconditioning fluid before, but have found it to be a temporary solution at best.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Thanks. That approach makes sense- save money for the head work! Which I envisage at some point on the 19trs I'm getting- that has 133k miles on it. Plan is to restore gradually and hopefully make a really nice one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

As mike says use a fair quality oil and keep it fresh, I use semi synth from work as its cheap but dont go for anything lower than a 10w/40.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....