mixed wheel widths

BX Tech talk
themildbunch
BXpert

mixed wheel widths

Post by themildbunch »

Due to some nasty potholes and the lack of cheap or any Speedlines at the moment, I'm contemplating using my two good 5.5J wheels on the rear of my estate and two good 6J's on the front. 6J wheels don't fit very well on the rear of the estates.

I have a set of new 185 x 60's so the tyres are all the same circumference and diameter the only change would be a slight stretch on the front. Is this legal / a good idea?
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: mixed wheel widths

Post by Way2go »

I would of thought this is OK providing they are kept as pairs front and back (just in case the hub symmetry is different on the car about the mid point of the 185's).

After all, the coefficient of friction (or slip) will be the same when cornering vigorously so should be a world better than those recent odd tyres at each corner that several posters on here thought perfectly acceptable to use.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
David
BXpert

Post by David »

On older cars such as the BX I can't see it causing a problem.

I did it on a Fiat I had over winter once when I had snow tyres & bigger wheels on the front.

As already said just do it in axle pairs.

On newer ones it might upset the abs or other electronic junk (sorry esp, traction control, magic cornering protocol etc :lol: )
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

As far as legal goes, C&U doesn't state required tyre/rim widths. So, yes it's legal providing each axle carries the same size.
I have zero patience for your tedium.