Bleeding Hydraulics

BX Tech talk
sdcoomber

Bleeding Hydraulics

Post by sdcoomber »

Having carried out a transplant on a BX 19 Turbo Diesel this week I need to refill and get the hydraulics working. I've connected all the pipes again but no hydraulics yet. With engine running there is a small flow of tiny air bubbles into the LHM tank.

I imagine there are some well tried techniques for this. Any ideas chaps?

BTW, apart from becomming a dexterous midget, is there an easy way to reconnect the heater pipes to the back of the engine? I managed in the end - just!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Dexterous midget im afraid, reluctant to get up? tried running for a while with the bleed/pressure bolt undone? I drive a front wheel onto a block of timber to get room for a trolley jack then jack it up with bleed screw closed and engine running, dont know why but it seems to work, probably sucks lhm in or wakes up the hc.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

After doing an LHM change on my sis's TZD, it took ages for the suspension to "wake up" to the fact that it had new LHM in it. Running the engine for a good few minutes with the pressure bolt loosened seemed to help a lot. Then, with the bolt done up, leave the suspension lever in "min" for a moment, then move to "max height". Seemed to work for me.
this might be a signature
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Have you primed the pump? - take the pipe to the pump off the reservoir, start the engine and tip some LHM into it, hopefully till its full then stuff it back on the reservoir and tighten the clip. You should do this with the pressure relief bolt on the regulator undone.

Incidentally the pump-reservoir rubber pipe must be in good condition and have good ends sealing well. If not air will get in the system and all manner of problems will be encountered. Air leaks in - and as its under suction LHM does NOT leak out.

jeremy
sdcoomber

Post by sdcoomber »

Thanks, I'm sure that will sort things.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

If the pump is a bit weak, you can induce it to pump by turning the steering.
They think it's all over, it is now!