BX bonnet.

BX Tech talk
Mothman

Re: BX bonnet.

Post by Mothman »

benifotrem1 wrote:I have a brochure for the bx dated 09/1985 and it quotes (The bx is the first mass production car to use the latest synthetic materials on large, non structural areas like the hatchback door, and on most models, the bonnet also)
Ah, i see you said 'most' models. That means they did make metal jobbies too. My 1984 19RD has a metal bonnet. Looks original to the motor[has period rust etc] and she dosnt look to have been in a shunt. So its fair to assume they did make both concurrently.

Andy
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

My GTi 93' has a metal bonnet too, looks like it's random.

Exported ones were all metal bonnets?
Citroën BX GTi 1993
. XU9JAZ engine, ZF 4HP14 Automatic gearbox
. Leather Seats, Air Conditioner, electric mirrors, windows and sunroof
. "16V type" Speedline Rims, "Ducktail" spoiler and rear vents
ORGA 5219 (February 22, 1991) - Made in Uruguay

Hot steamy night alone, I wait for you ? Cold brittle morning alone and I cry for you ? And when you finally call ? You cloak your moves in the shadows ???
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Might also be down to local legislation. You would need to know the vehicle requirements when your car was imported, and that of every other export country!. May well be some countries would only accept steel, though UK and France seem to have both types, plastic and steel.

Bit like the UK was very slow to accept plastic fuel tanks on motor cycles until Triumph wanted to make one. Most of Europe was way in advance on that score. Funnily enough most times I've seen a steel tank slide on the road it generates sparks, an ideal mix with petrol vapour.... :lol: well at least the legislators thought so.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I bet that steel bonnets were fitted for markets that didn't like platic ones, then were used for the likes of us when they ran out of plastic ones due to running that well known production method Just Too Late
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
kernowtim
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 19 estate
1999 ford focus 1.8TD

Post by kernowtim »

Are these interchangeable then, thinking of replacing metal one with plastic version found locally in (I think) the right colour red on my '93 1.9tzd estate.seller wants £10 is that a fair price?? Or should I look for metal one ..
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

All bonnets are interchangeable.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

The bonnets maybe interchangeable but the trim panel to the radiator and grills are different at least on my 2 'identical' Athenas, one plastic, one metal bonnet so you may need to change those parts too.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

If you search in the forum this is a question that has been asked a great many times.

The existing consensus is that the BX was launched with a metal bonnet, and the GFRP started being phased in before the Mk2 came out. I assume there was a manufacturing issue and hence the introduction was delayed. We then went almost through the whole of the Mk2 production with GFRP bonnets. From 1991 onwards there is a curious mix of GFRP and Metal. No one has ever provided conclusive proof but the accepted scenario is that they still had a lot of Mk1 metal bonnets left and so as GFRP stock ran out, Metal was phased back in.

A few things to consider though;
> Crash repaired vehicles could have either!
> They are interchangeable although the metal is a lot heavier
> The majority of 1991 and 1992 registered cars where actually made in late 1990 and early 1991