Rear Heated Screen switch

BX Tech talk
Tinkley
1K Away

Rear Heated Screen switch

Post by Tinkley »

Weird one, to me at least. The heated screen switch just went to no lumination when I tried to use it tonight. The relay can be heard clicking but the element(s) are not heating up. When you repress the switch Ie to off, the normal low level illumination comes on. Any idea? switch? relay seems OK, or maybe the 8 month old rear screen which I'll bet is out of warranty.... :x

Certainly something I would appreciate working OK in this wintery weather.
Mothman

Re: Rear Heated Screen switch

Post by Mothman »

New switch?
My rear screen wiper switch on my TZD has started to only work when it feels like it, maybe the same problem. However, ive just got my TXD Estate home[dont ask how] and its got one in working order so fingers crossed. It did the same as yours Tink and if pressed correctly, it worked , looked at it wrong, and it didnt!!

Andy
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Sounds like a blown fuse to me.

The switch controls the low powered side of the relay, so it will still click, However there will be no power through the high powered side of the relay, so no power to illuminate the switch or work the heated window.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Thanks, David. I'll check the fuse in daylight tomorrow, it was too dark/wet/cold to entice me to investigate, plus I needed to use it half an hour ago o go and do a small job. Makes sense though as the fuse box has been pretty wet in the recent past, maybe a short around the relay? Got a few spares somewhere but hardly too difficult to buy locally.

It was working fine on Wed and last week when I needed it a lot, probably done close on 900 miles in the last week and a half, with no problem at all. Just this evening coming out of the Sailing Club workshop, pissing rain and of course the car is/was parked 5 meters from a lake - hence a slight mist up... :wink:
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Prob got a switch if you need one.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Thanks rutter. Fortunately the problem has been solved and very simply. One or both of the spade end terminals onto the element must have had corrosion on it as pulling and refitting them allowed full and proper activation of the elemnt and switch. Thank goodness, sometimes the solutions are simple. I suppose with the age of the cars now, a few issues like this are going to arise.

It was just odd, the way it had been working fine, then stopped the next day. Inevitably one feels it is a component itself failing not a simple connection. Fortunately I follwed the KISS principle and started by looking at the connections first, even before the fuse!.

Thanks to all for help, much appreciated.