Dashboard removal/repair

BX Tech talk
Toddman
BXpert

Dashboard removal/repair

Post by Toddman »

The tidying up of my white valver is getting serious :)

I am going to replace the dash, the large grey full width fascia but it is only the plastic screen vent strip that is damaged.

Question is how big a job is replacing the entire dash or is it viable to just remove the old screen vent strip and glue a new one in place?

A bebefit of entire dash removal may be the locating of mice and mous debris though :cry:

Thanks
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k - G764KEW

http://www.bx16valve.com
citronut
Over 2k

Re: Dashboard removal/repair

Post by citronut »

Toddman wrote:The tidying up of my white valver is getting serious :)

I am going to replace the dash, the large grey full width fascia but it is only the plastic screen vent strip that is damaged.

Question is how big a job is replacing the entire dash or is it viable to just remove the old screen vent strip and glue a new one in place?

A bebefit of entire dash removal may be the locating of mice and mous debris though :cry:

Thanks
i wouldnt advise locating/re/locating meec's up behind the dash, they cause all sorts of havoc,

send a ferret up in there first Luke :twisted: #-o :) :lol: :wink:

regards malcolm

ps. dosh arrived thanks
and the wings will be winging ( or should that be Yodling ) there way to you tomorrow
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Getting the dash out is reasonably straight forward but time consuming.

Its principally held in by 6 bolts two at the ends, two by the centre console, two into the bulk head from the engine side.

But you'll need to take the steering wheel off and either drop or remove the steering column.

To get the dash out of the car you'll need to remove the instrument binnacle/cluster, disconnect the heater controls and remove them, take the glove box out (mostly for access) then remove all the electrical connections at one end of the harness (i prefer NOT to remove them at the fuse box end).

The defrost panel that has no doubt split is plastic welded into the rest of the facia and can be removed, but will dissolve into a lot of pieces. Any replacement you are likely to find will no doubt be equally as fragile having been exposed to the sun for 20+ years.

I guess it would be possible to carefully get it off, have it laser scanned and turned into a cad model then have it soft tooled. If you do that, then i might might want one if you can do it cheap enough!
Toddman
BXpert

Post by Toddman »

Thanks Vanny
I wil see how I feel, the defrost vent only has a coupl eof smal hol;es one at each end from dash mounting so I might look at filling them with some dash repair putty, failing that I wi have to swap the dash
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k - G764KEW

http://www.bx16valve.com
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Vanny wrote: disconnect the heater controls and remove them,
i didnt think you have to remove the heater controls Sir Vanny, but just maneuver them about so the panel goes behind oits mounting points, and stay put as the fascia is removed,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

citronut wrote:
Vanny wrote: disconnect the heater controls and remove them,
i didnt think you have to remove the heater controls Sir Vanny, but just maneuver them about so the panel goes behind oits mounting points, and stay put as the fascia is removed,

regards malcolm
Tis true, you can leave them loose, but when I tried doing it this way, I found the cable retaining clips fired off and the cables escaped.

I suspect a bit more patience would resolve the issue, but now I tend to unclip instead

I can't believe i'm going to have to remove the dash from mine again (for about the 5th time), although this time its for a brand new wiring loom!