Leaky FDV

BX Tech talk
loftus.hall
Confirmed BX'er

Leaky FDV

Post by loftus.hall »

Just after a bit of advice about a leaky flow distributor,
It has always leaked a little bit, looks like it's leaking from the top cyclinder end on the right. It's never leaked much but having done a fair amount of work to the car i thought i'd investigate sorting this last problem.
From what I've read it looks like it's a pain to remove it and having had a look on the forums here read that sealing the end of the pistons with pu sealant (exsternally) might be enough to prevent me leaving drips of LHM as an I woz ere tag where ever I go!

All the steering seems ok so don't think the leak is causing any other issues

Any thoughts on whether to try and swap it out, or find O rings to recon it or just seal up the outside?
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: Leaky FDV

Post by Defender110 »

Mine leaked the same past the 'o' rings that seal the end caps (like little core plugs) on both sides, I cleaned the valve off with brake cleaner spray then sealed over the caps with one-pack PU sealant adhesive and it remained bone dry during my ownership (further 3 years in daily use). It doesn't tend to be a high pressure leak just low pressure seepage.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
loftus.hall
Confirmed BX'er

Re: Leaky FDV

Post by loftus.hall »

Thanks for advice, That's exactly where mine is leaking too. I have some sikaflex 221, i'll try that and see what happens.