b x front hubs

BX Tech talk
mikesg
Good Old boy

b x front hubs

Post by mikesg »

Hi folks
Can anyone tell me if's ok to fit an ABS front hub to a non ABS hub, please?. Would the abs ring impede fitment?
Thank you in advance
Mike
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: b x front hubs

Post by Kitch »

Fit a hub to a hub? :? :lol:

If you mean, can you fit an ABS driveshaft to a non-ABS car, then yes, provided you've got the splines matched etc.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
mikesg
Good Old boy

Post by mikesg »

Thanks for reply. I need to replace front o/s hub on my Cit 19d tgd, which has non abs brakes. I have the chance to buy a new, old stock, complete unit but the part number of the new hub is that of an abs fitted bx. Before I buy this hub I need to make certain if poss, that it would be suitable for my non abs car? That is the question. I hope that makes sense.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

There is no technical difference between the two, except that possibly the non has no sensor hole drilled.

In any case, it will fit just fine, they are the same.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Ok, and is it actually the hub (flange - bit the disc and wheel bolt to) or the upright/knuckle (at the bottom of the strut) you're referring to?

AFAIK, the hubs are all the same (other than the number of splines, only way is to count yours and compare) and as Jay said, the upright would have a hole in it for the ABS sensor, but that wouldn't stop you being able to use it.

themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

..that_

But possibly a bit of a waste as ABS hubs are likely more rare than non ABS hubs..
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

AFAIK it'll fit, but why do you need a whole hub? Unless it's physically damaged, then surely it'll be cheaper to just replace wheel bearing and ball joint in the one you've got...?
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
mikesg
Good Old boy

Post by mikesg »

Right, here we go. I have fitted both arb links also the n/s ball joint to my car. The problem is the o/s ball joint. Despite using a 6ft scaffold pipe, heat gun & a chisel, it will not budge and I don't have the facilities to use other methods (vice, bench etc). As it happened when doing a web search I came across 2 new old stock complete units ( bearings & ball joints) for £80 each. So I thought i'd have one to fit to my car after removing the old hub. On checking the part number with my local Cit agent, it came up for models with ABS' As my tub doesn't have ABS, I needed to confirm the suitability for a non abs BX. Having been assured by the good old Forum, I decided to buy one of the pair only to find that they've both been sold.
That is the reason for my post. so now I have to find some one with a strong bench and vice etc to remove the ball joint, then I can fit the new one
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

AFAIK the hub design was unchanged throughout the model life. The only difference was the introduction of the ABS version, and this may be fitted to a non ABS car. Now vice-versa..... :wink:
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

mikesg wrote:Despite using a 6ft scaffold pipe, heat gun & a chisel, it will not budge and I don't have the facilities to use other methods (vice, bench etc).
Ah, that makes sense then. I've never had much luck trying to remove/replace the ball joints in situ - it's soooooo much easier to just take the whole thing off and put it where you can give it a proper clobbering at.... Last pair I did, they'd been on there so long the only way was to use a thin cutting disc to shave away the exposed bit (guts of the ball joint included) which allowed judicious chiselling to shift the rest.

My solution to avoiding having attack it at the car's (or the MoT man's) convenience rather than my own has been to source a spare pair of hubs (cost peanuts) and change wheel bearings and ball joints, and shove them on the shelf. Then when I need to change one in a hurry it's already sorted and I can re-con the old one at my leisure.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Why don't you just take the removed hub to a garage and ask them to get it out. I have done this a few times when all else has failed.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Right, I'm with you now. The problem was the terminology, and using the wrong names for things. Common mistake, in fairness. Also, talk of the ABS ring confused me a bit, as I couldn't figure out why it could be a problem.

So:

Upright (aka Steering Knuckle): The bit you need. Clamps to the bottom of the strut, wheel bearings pressed into it, lower ball/swivel joints screwed into it etc. Non ABS unit and ABS unit the same, except for a small hole used for locating the ABS sensor.

Hub (aka Hub Flange): The bit the wheel and brake disc bolt to. Presses into the inside of the wheel bearing. ABS or non-ABS makes no difference, but there are two versions with different numbers of splines fitted (e.g. if you bought a used one complete inside a used upright, you might find your driveshaft doesn't fit)

Stub axle/outer CV Joint (same thing on a BX): The splined bit that passes into the hub, houses the outer CV joint on the driveshaft.

Back to the issue, get it down to a garage, leave it with them and tell them you'll bring them some cash. They'll get it out. I've managed to get some real rotters out over the years, but I'm assuming I'm miles away from you!