19 RD non starter

BX Tech talk
Discoil
BXpert

19 RD non starter

Post by Discoil »

SWMBO went to start her car this morning and not a peep from it. Booster pack on and it fired up. Multimeter was showing a charge rate of 17 volts :-& .
Panic sets in . I left it and went off to my allotment.
9 o'clock tonight I started on it with a heavy battery discharge tester. Good battery. Interior lights were flickering to indicate a very poor battery connection.
The + battery conection was 27 years of age which is kind of suspect and then I remembered I had a NEW complete one ( starter , alternator plus two spade connectors ) somewhere in a wooden shed.
I had seen it 2 years ago and found it after 10 minutes.
Fitted the whole lot and now everything works as it should with a multimeter reading of 14 volts. :D :D

So at this late hour , its ~ale~
Land Rover Discovery TD5
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: 19 RD non starter

Post by rutter123 »

Not uncommon for battery terminals to corrode and loose volts, i use marine type battery terminals on all my bx's much better than regular type.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Discoil
BXpert

Re: 19 RD non starter

Post by Discoil »

I did have a separate terminal end but the place to fasten the wires into was too small for all three bare wires. 9.30 at night was not a good time for finding another and as I said, item in stock was the cheapest and fastest way to having the car ready for shopping.
Land Rover Discovery TD5