Carb problems

BX Tech talk
Phil Brook
Confirmed BX'er

Carb problems

Post by Phil Brook »

I know this is nothing new but does anyone know if a carb for my 1.6 auto can be bought? I have changed the current one to a manual choke which is fine but the running is lumpy. Going to try an ultra sonic clean(or something) but a bit worried that the gunge removed may make things worse! I saw a BX on ebay recently that had a new solex carb fitted so wondered if there are any out there which would suitable and where I can get one.
Philbrook
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: Carb problems

Post by Kitch »

Is it Solex or Weber? You can buy rebuild kits for either one.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Most carb problems are down to being either full of muck or set up incorrectly, as Kitch says a rebuild would probably be the best way.

If its running lumpy I would also check the ignition system, leads, plugs, dizzy cap etc, I had a recent issue with mine which I thought was a carb fault and it was a dizzy cap breaking down.

Good luck.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Phil Brook
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Phil Brook »

Manual choke set up properly and carb adjusted by proper Citroen trained engineer and all is now well.
Hydraulic pump sounds like a noisy parrot! I'm told the belt's ok - does it mean a new pump? I do have a spare taken from my old BX scrapped last year but wonder if I can quieten the one on the car by lubricating in some way. Apart from the noise everything seems to work ok.
Philbrook
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

A noisy hydraulic pump is generally a good sign that it's on it's way out, the internal lobes and springs wear, doubtful and expensive for a new pump, but having them reconditioned is do-able, Plaedies offer this service on an exchange basis, dont think lubricating them is an option as they are already full of oil (LHM). The internals can be re- machined and new springs fitted as well as a few other bits and bobs to make them as good as new again, i had one done by them approx 8yrs ago on my t/d and its still ok after 150.000miles.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability