Sunroof drain tubes.....HELP

BX Tech talk
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Sunroof drain tubes.....HELP

Post by Jaba »

Just been investigating cable runs behind the glove box and find to my dismay that the front sunroof drain tubes left and right are not connected at their lower ends. The rear ones are fine and water drains out from both sides at the rear when I do an irrigation test.
My question about the fronts is where exactly do they connect or go? The drain tubes end just below the bottom of the dashboard plastic draining into the car ! But I cannot see where to route and connect the tubes/pipes.
Anyone got photos which might help to locate where to put them as I cannot see where they go behind all the well stuck on sound insulation.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: Sunroof drain tubes.....HELP

Post by Kitch »

They're supposed to empty into the A-pillars (which isn't ideal!) There's a little flute in the metalwork above the sill, but that often blocks up which accelerates the rust.
The drainage tubes do pass behind the dash, but post into the A-pillars at sort-of-glovebox-height. If they've been cut (or damaged while welding door hinges back on) then they might be emptying onto your carpet!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
motorgnome
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 19 TRI, Mk1 MG Metro, Mk1 Metro VP, Triumph Dolomite Sprint, Lexus LS400

Post by motorgnome »

I can help here (tomorrow)..I have one in bits & can photograph where they poke into. Let me know if you are still looking for an answer

Cheers!
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Thanks but all done now
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
BXurbane

Post by BXurbane »

There are four of them and they plug into the moulded plastic tray attached to the underside of the roof, at each corner. It is not possible access them from the sunroof itself, without major dismantling, ie removing the headlining. So they need to be blown through from their outlets.
The front two pipes pass through the A posts behind and terminate in the inside of the front wings. There is a fluted outlet in the door shut where the A post meets the cill, to drain the water. The pipe can be accessed inside the footwell. On the inner vertical panel beside the accelerator pedal there is a small hole and the clear plastic pipe can be hooked out. On the Passenger side the hole is obscured by the fuse box so this needs to be pulled out, a simple task as it is designed to allow for this. Again there is a small hole at the junction with the dashboard panel from where the pipe can be hooked out.

The rear pipes are easy. They are accessed bit removing the light cluster and then they can be hooked out from within the rear panel via the access holes. These pipes discharge over the steel panel behind the bumper, I wondered if this is why the panel is so prone to rust in these areas?. Maybe it’s worth extending these pipes to avoid this. I blew the pipes through with compressed air which appear to have cleared them.
Attachments
BX rear wing drain pipe.JPG
BX front drain pipe.JPG