citaerobics

BX Tech talk
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

You can do the "sucking up" approach without removing the wheels, I do quite often. Just stick the side your doing on lock.

As stated above, If venturing underneath ANY hydraulic Cit and you dont have a 4 post lift then extreme caution is called for. Better to be safe than sorry etc.
I had a very close call a few years back when the back end of bx fell off axle stands while I was under it. Back then I was stronger and lifted the back end enough to get my legs out, but it could have been fatal if I'd gone under head first so SAFETY FIRST is paramount.

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
charlie
BXpert

Post by charlie »

and be sure to explain to that very nice mot man :roll:

that all the oil and lhm stains round the bottom of your struts is not a leak but an approved and scientific approach to bx car maintance...

and be sure to remember the look he gives you back :shock:

charlie :lol:
yes.....
the colour is....
guiness white..........
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

MOT men are like chimps, you just need to train them to understand the complexities of citroen! :D
First year I had the diesel it failed the test cos there was no handbrake effort at all.... Guess why!

Needless to say I didn't use those plebs again!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
image1990

Post by image1990 »

All useful stuff, thanks a lot everyone. I've actually already done the sucking-up with the wheels on lock, as docchevron suggested, and the ride has improved markedly. I was simply wondering if there's any safe way of getting better access in order to replace the return pipe, i.e. by taking the wheel off.

As for MOTs, I've yet to experience the French controle technique, since they're only every 2 years, but hopefully the testers will be a bit less chimp-like about citroens :)
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Strut return pipe clips, as suggested above, use a pair of wood working pincers.
The type you use to lever nails out of planks.
Works a treat.
image1990

Post by image1990 »

Gah, this weekend's strut return plan was foiled by horrendous weather and wheelnuts that /would/ not budge. Still, I had a dry run putting the front up on axel stands and it worked a treat :)
saint gaz
BXpert

Post by saint gaz »

image1990 wrote:I was simply wondering if there's any safe way of getting better access in order to replace the return pipe, i.e. by taking the wheel off.

I did mine yesterday. Unles you have a proper garage ramp, I couldnt see any other way of getting the clip on the strut without removing the wheel. I also degreased and pressure washed hub / brakes ect. And as has been mentioned a pair of pincers similar to these work a treet.

http://bhinone.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSe ... sku=012400
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

image1990 wrote:...and wheelnuts that /would/ not budge...
You should get yourself one of those telescopic wheel braces which extend to about 21". Halfords do one for abou £6.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg