ABS

BX Tech talk
tim leech

ABS

Post by tim leech »

Just noticed the ABS light doesnt work on my new 16v, it was problematical back in 1999 when I sold it. Could just be the bilb or its been disconnected for a reason.

I has both rear wheels sensors replaced when I previously owned it and it was £250 then!

Is it hard to fix and is it expensive?

Eeek! :shock:
M

Post by M »

My thoughts are the bulb has either failed or has been disconnected.
Measuring the resistance at the ABS ecu for each of the sensors will show if there is a problem with a sensor - a continuity check will show if the wiring is damaged.
Lets hope no one has done the trick that dogged Jon's burgundy BX with its "ABS light just come on" problem :roll:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

What trick's that Marty? I have a light on problem at the moment and am considering all possiblilities and will tackle them in order of probability.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

If memory serves, wasn't this the car that was sold as "ABS light comes on sometimes"

and it was actually "ABS lamp permanently on due to some muppet fitting a non-ABS rear arm, and just hacking the sensor off"

Seller's descriptions. You just gotta love 'em.
this might be a signature
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well I don't think that's high up on my list of probabilities! :D
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

would start with the bulb! simple things! may have had the bulb removed for mot????
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I agree with Cornish - check the bulb first. Remember when all is working correctly it should come on then go out when its done its test. (in fact my TD tests when I turn it on to heat it and again when the engine has started.) this means that nothing at all is happening - as a sensor or other fault should leave the light ON.

With care you should be able to remove the bulb holder without removing the dash panel - by reaching up through the switch panel - then you'll know why mechanics who work on French cars charge so much - as they have extra joints in their hands.

jeremy
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: ABS

Post by Way2go »

tim leech wrote:Just noticed the ABS light doesnt work on my new 16v, it was problematical back in 1999 when I sold it. Could just be the bilb or its been disconnected for a reason.
Might be a good idea to check if the ABS is working before looking at the bulb. Find a deserted, safe piece of road and apply the brakes hard at 30mph! If you hear the ratchetty noise and you stop in a straight line then it is a good indication. :) Do it on a wet road and you stop straight even better. :D But beware of testing it on wet road with substantial surface water cos the ABS cannot compensate for aquaplaning! :shock:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thanks guys will do, am taking the dash pod out tomorrow weather permitting to replace most of the dahs bulbs that have broken! The previous owner was a mechanic so am hoping its in good order.
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

an easier way to test the sensors is to use a multimeter throught he abs loom! if ones dead then its easy enough to swap! and then piut the bulb back in!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
Toddman
BXpert

ABS

Post by Toddman »

My money says you have a failed ABS sensor or as often the case a broken wire leading to it.
The bulb will most likely have been removed or the wiring to it just unplugged from the loom located just behind the dash clock set.
I would sort the bulb out and then chances are it will be on all the time which is a good sign that a sensor has failed so a quick check with a meter will tell you which one.

2nd hand sensors are a good way of saving money and I am in the middle of breaking a 16v so might be able to help out.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k - G764KEW

http://www.bx16valve.com
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thanks luke, i need a pair of foglamps for 16v if you have some? Mine are nasty halfords ones and one of them is broken!
Toddman
BXpert

fogs

Post by Toddman »

Will do my best Tim.
The bumper has been reserved but hopefully the chap will not need the fogs but I will find out and let youu know.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k - G764KEW

http://www.bx16valve.com
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thanks matey.