Slow Tachometer and holes aplenty!

BX Tech talk
tim leech

Slow Tachometer and holes aplenty!

Post by tim leech »

Two things chaps

1. The revcounter on my 16v is slow, and seems to take a while to catch up with the revs, from memory it did this back in 1998/9.

2. I just put the suspension up to jetwash it and noticed that the consatina cover on the strut on one side is all holed and knackered, also they groan when you put them donw from full height!

Any ideas?
Toddman
BXpert

BX

Post by Toddman »

The rev clocks are nearly all slow especially when driving the car hard - not sure if changing the rev clock will help or not.

The strut issue is quite common and other people on here will be bale to advise on some nifty tricks to try before you have to recondition the struts.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k - G764KEW

http://www.bx16valve.com
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thanks again guys, the car rides ok and with the suspension at normal height you cant see anything.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I have seen the gaiters on my front struts, they have been worn away by the tyre too, though the damage seems to be lower down and away from the delicate bits.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Should I worry or leave as is?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Can't these be changed easily by disconnecting the strut from the hub and sliding a new gaiter on?
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

It will probably only do it again in short order, the vulnerable area is below the sensitive bits of the strut so should not cause danage in the short term anyway, I suppose the cure is to have narrower tyres.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Mines a 16v with standar issue 195 tyres, Ken do you still undertake small jobs on bx now youve moved?