Tank Hose

BX Tech talk
Widgit
Confirmed BX'er

Tank Hose

Post by Widgit »

I think I have finally found the cause of my hit/miss steering performance on my 1.7 Turbo D BX estate.

I was fitting a s/h HP pump when I noticed some cracking around the preformed bend in the supply hose adjacent to the pump connection.

I tried to get the system to pressurise with no success, then I noticed that the hose was becoming wet with LHM on the outer side near the pump indicating a small leak.
I assume this was sufficent to prevent the pump from priming.

My question is can I use any type of hose other than the genuine Citroen item......in other words is there any significant suction that would collapse thinner walled piping ? :?:

Tim.
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

It's not like it would pull your socks off but you also need the pipe to be oil proof as well. I've heard of garden hose being used as a "getyouhome" standby, might be worth trying whatever you have to see if it cures your problem but I recommend you get the genuine pipe.
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Heater hose is thought to dissolve in LHM - imagine sticky rubber in solution being deposited in the valves!

Halfords and others do sell plastic hose-joining sections, straight, angled and 'T' in various sizes which may help you temporarily.

Air in the LHM will cause all manner of problems as many of the valves rely on the viscosity or surface tension of the LHM and do not have seals as such. This means that in effect they act as a sieve and separate the air from the LHM. When its sealed do Citroebics - raise and lower it several times and with luck there is no air in the limbs going to the brakes.
Widgit
Confirmed BX'er

Tank Hose

Post by Widgit »

Pleased to say that I have used a piece of plastic garden hose as a temporary measure and all problems are now solved. I have a car that has predictable power steering at last. :D

Thanks for your suggestions guys, much appreciated.

Tim.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

It's worth noting that any hose that is rated as oil, petrol or diesel hose is fine with LHM, as these are all mineral derivatives.

Heater hose is indeed a much softer rubber, and is likely to begin to dissolve in LHM (or diesel etc.)

Almost any motor factor will be able to supply "hardwall" (mineral resistant) hose in a variety of sizes, cut to length.
this might be a signature