How do I prime the HP pump on a 16V BX?

BX Tech talk
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

How do I prime the HP pump on a 16V BX?

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I have put this question on the 16 Valve forum too,

I have done what it says in the Haynes book, but the pump will not kick in and suck.

any tips ?

Thanks,
Mike
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I'm not too sureabout the 16v but I assume its the same as all the rest. I usually have the pressure release screw on the regulator undone, the fill the pump feed pipe manually with the engine running and quickly refit the pipe on to the tank. Then retighten the pressure screw and hope for the best.
If nothing happens release the screw and listen for air in the system. Tighten the screw again. if nothing again repeat several times.

Sometimes I have found it nessessary to move the steering from lock to lock, the seems to induce to pump to start pumping.

Hope this helps. Ken.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

I've had the same problem in the past, and my mate Tim just had the same problem with his 16v last week.

I take it it's all back together and bleed screw is tightened and just won't do anything. This puzzled me when it happened to me. I tried a few tricks but ended up turning the car off and walking away in frustration. I went back the next day, started her up and was greeted with a standing ovation.

Strange but true - and the same thing worked for Tim.
CCC BX Columnist
'89 16v P1
'90 BX GTi 4x4, 16v P2, 19 TZI auto A/C estate
'92 BX 19 TGD (now 17 Turbo D)
'93 BX 19 TXD estate & 19TD van
'93 ZX Volcane TD 3 Door
'71 DS 21 EFi Pallas, '86 Visa GTi ,
'98 Xantia Activa P1
'07 C4 by Loeb
3 x 2CV, 1 x Mehari