Heater controls

BX Tech talk
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by timbo »

All the flaps and levers under the dash have got lubricant on them and are in very good condition. The only problem is the one I described earlier (no air from the fan and the main flap will not open with the fan speed control dial). As i cannot access anything from under the dash, I thought it may be easier to go in from under the bonnet ie: remove the heater fan and have a look at whats happening with that main flap. I just don't have enough info as to whether it can be done from this way or not
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

I reckon you should try that, perhaps something is jamming the flap, you should at least be able to free it and have air blowing through your silky locks :lol:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi Timbo,

Just took some pics of my spare one with the flaps/valve in positions noted,
thought this may assist...

Cheers and Good Luck.

Heater control in hot position, main flap closed.

Heater control in cold postion, Main flap open.

Diverter flap gears

Diverter flap Note the register pips, should line up as shown.
This is just visible, if you can get your head and light in the right place.
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by timbo »

cheers for that mate ... have just got some "BAD" news about the BX though. It turns out that it will cost a major sum to fix it .. I have been offered a Citroen ZX with a 1.9 Diesel motor... will post a new topic about the ZX as I know nothing about them ... stay tuned :?
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Brilliant pictures! Thanks Brian.

So with the main flap open, and heater tap off, what feeds the main flap with cold air (MkII BX)?

Cheers,

Mark.
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi Timbo,

Sorry to hear the bad news on the BX...
Pitty you don't have room to keep it for spares, then get onother one with a better underbody, there are plenty around.

Mark,

Yes it can be a little confusing, but the main flap is controlled with a different cable, so is independant to the heater tap hot/cold cable.

Note!. 2 cables in the picture.

I just moved both the levers to indicate the movement / position of the levers at their extreem limits, to demonstrate for the pictures.

Cheers
Brian
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by timbo »

thanks Brian, It loks like the main vent flap is controlled by the geared arm. Is it the fan speed control dial that actuates the second control cable? ie: when that dial is at the 1 oclock position, it closes the main vent flap? I dearly wish I had an alternative for the BX. We haven't driven it very far but we sorta got an affection for it. That and sentimental reasons. It just goes so well... it really is a shame.